The MKOwl Derby…. Match thread

2 minutes ago, Jim said:

I once had to navigate through MK on the early days of sat nav. Fucking battery died due to all the fucking roundabouts. I've hated it ever since. It really is the centre parting of cities. 

A city of culture, there's more culture in my fridge. 

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Apart from the first 1 v 1, where Marvin got done a bit for pace, I thought he owned Corbeanu

I wouldn't say he "owned him". Corbeanu was a danger, no question, and he completely did Palmer. Don't get me wrong Marv did well considering he's not an out and out full back but I wouldn't have fancied 90mins of Corbeanu running at him

4 hours ago, Andyben said:

Theo doesn't seem to be very popular amongst the squad 

Had a wander over to their message board earlier on and the consensus is that he’s gone down hill since having a decent start in January. 

Fact he’s on the bench says a lot - he’s doing no better there than he did here.

Watched it with my old man. It was a very very professional performance. We were very good with the ball for 65 mins, the midfield three ran the show. A very nice combination with Byers sitting, Dele doing the box to box stuff and Bannan playing behind the front two. Very balanced.

The last 25 mins we did a good job of taking the sting out of the game, I thought the back three did well, Dunkley was solid when he came on, Palmer did well defensively as did Storey. Storey got done a bit on the Parrot goal, but aside from that, it was all efforts from distance.

I’ll always maintain this, against footballing teams, we will look good. We’ve got so much craft in our midfield that when the game opens up, it suits us better. Acid test will be against the likes of Wycombe, who are a bit more in your face.

I wouldn’t want to face us in the playoffs. Especially if we can get Windass, Hutch and Luongo back.

32 minutes ago, pook said:

To each his own, and all, but unless one's a bean-counter or into 'hospitality' matchdays, I really don't see it.  

Well the bean counter in me will say with some justification that the revenue generating capacity of Hillsborough is not as good as it should be. 

It would also be if on a park type setting that the Club as a captive audience in many ways. If it then provides decent internal food and drink  facilities and a variety of options based on budget, that is better for the Club  financially.

It seems a lot of Wednesday fans want to spend dosh on match days anywhere but the stadium, then moan about funds. 

My lad went to the new Spurs ground a month ago, on the big terrace. Totally blows other venues out the water. 

Nostalgia is great but you cannot be constrained by it 

Keep one foot in the past and you won’t properly move forward. New stadiums can be designed to be unique and something  to be proud of, this ‘soulless bowl’ point doesn’t really stand up to a lot of scrutiny. Look at Newcastle's ground, almost entirely redeveloped within the last 25 years, hardly soulless!

Of course I’d love us to redevelop Hillsborough and retain - where possible, elements of the ground that give it the uniqueness everybody loves about it. But the footprint of our stadium is, today at least, badly positioned for major upgrades & redevelopment; having houses, a major dual carriageway & a river effectively hemming it in to a pretty tight spot.

The “entry & exit” issues of Hillsborough that cops & safety bureaucrats get nipped up about won’t get permanently solved with the ground sat where it is. 

And even if you manage to retain the south stand but demolish & redevelop all three other sides, it still has a design floor of it is own, shading out large parts of the pitch on sunny days. 

if we get to the PL in the next few years & sustain our existence there, I’d love to see us move and build something that will be appropriate for the modern game, big enough (although not too big as we have al large percentage of fans who attend pretty haphazardly or infrequently) and smart enough to be future fit for our next generations. And yes for sure you’d integrate as many revenue generating elements as possible that compliment the stadium. It is possible to strike a neat balance between ambition & heritage!

2 hours ago, ChineseYellowLorry said:

Keep one foot in the past and you won’t properly move forward. New stadiums can be designed to be unique and something  to be proud of, this ‘soulless bowl’ point doesn’t really stand up to a lot of scrutiny. Look at Newcastle's ground, almost entirely redeveloped within the last 25 years, hardly soulless!

Of course I’d love us to redevelop Hillsborough and retain - where possible, elements of the ground that give it the uniqueness everybody loves about it. But the footprint of our stadium is, today at least, badly positioned for major upgrades & redevelopment; having houses, a major dual carriageway & a river effectively hemming it in to a pretty tight spot.

The “entry & exit” issues of Hillsborough that cops & safety bureaucrats get nipped up about won’t get permanently solved with the ground sat where it is. 

And even if you manage to retain the south stand but demolish & redevelop all three other sides, it still has a design floor of it is own, shading out large parts of the pitch on sunny days. 

if we get to the PL in the next few years & sustain our existence there, I’d love to see us move and build something that will be appropriate for the modern game, big enough (although not too big as we have al large percentage of fans who attend pretty haphazardly or infrequently) and smart enough to be future fit for our next generations. And yes for sure you’d integrate as many revenue generating elements as possible that compliment the stadium. It is possible to strike a neat balance between ambition & heritage!

Great Post - well said. 

7 hours ago, ChineseYellowLorry said:

... It is possible to strike a neat balance between ambition & heritage!

That's really the point, isn't it?  

There are a whole lot of gradiations between 'stay right where we are and don't change a thing' and 'do whatever is necessary to maximize revenue'.  So the question is, 'when is it too much?'  

The rebuilding of an old stand?  Clearing them all and starting over?  Starting over somewhere else in town?  Out of town?  Bear with me, as it's gonna get a bit silly ... Changing the club's colours for a sponsor?  Or maybe even the name?  These things have happened.  

Of course, no one is endorsing those last things (actually, there's been some 'RedBullWednesday' talk, but whatever).  No one wants their club to be the next MKDons.  But the question is, where along the line does draw the line?  When Spurs were going through their 'Stratford saga', there were plenty - I mean, a lot - of Spurs fans who were perfectly happy with pulling up stakes and moving to East London.  Who am I to say they're not fans?  They are.  But I couldn't get my head around that.  I may not like the new stadium relative to the old one ... but I think it's great relative to Stratford.  Nobody anywhere would suggest that St James Park is soulless, despite being redeveloped; but neither did Newcastle pull up stakes on a century's history to get there.  But I digress.  

I'll gladly admit that I tend to draw that line earlier than most, and no chairman would do well to take his cues from the likes of me.  I don't expect Luton to say, 'let's not leave Kenilworth Road, there's a fella in Indiana who really likes it'.  But the further you take it, the more you're giving away.  And that stuff - a club's heritage - matters.  Otherwise, in the end, there's nothing to differentiate 'your' club from any other.  

'Keep one foot in the past and you won't move forward'.  Well, you certainly won't if you keep both feet in the past.  But if you pull up both feet, you'll lose your moorings.  Hmm ... I'm not sure how sound that analogy is, but you get my point.  The way forward is, indeed, as stated above, about striking a balance.  But even those who agree on that point will have differences on where the balance lies.  

Serious question, then:  What about West Ham?  In fiscal terms, the London Stadium has to be better than Upton Park.  F*ck me, though, if it's not shit; and they've not given up a lot for it.  Where do folks come down on that?  If I were West Ham (and thank f*ck I'm not, for myriad reasons), I know how I'd feel about it (and folks can pretty much guess).  How would folks feel if they gave up Hillsborough and ended up with something like that?  

I know.  I was planning to be over this last weekend (right now, actually), but pulled out over some logistical issues.  Since Wednesday at MKDons moved to Saturday, I'd've done Forest at Luton on Friday, for sure.  The Crewe match going to Tuesday, though ... I'd've been livid about that as I was flying out then.