Grecian 2000 (and 23)...

Glad Barnsley won since it keeps their slight chance of automatic promotion in tact

However, I'd rest Windass till the play offs if he has a chance of coming back. More than likely that's where we'll be

To think 93 points won't get you promoted in a season is crazy talk.

Edited by Kiwi Owl

Not a great game but more intensity second half. Moore clearly told the wide center backs to push up the pitch more, and both Brown and Iorfa and then Palmer did that and that did create gaps. All of a sudden, Johnson could get in behind and so could Adeniran on the other side.

Big catalyst as well pushing Bannan right up alongside the front two as he pressed and pressed. Him and Pato harrassed all of the second half.

Lovely header from Gregory for the first and quality from Adeniran for the second. 

Wasn’t a great display and they missed two good chances (we missed three good chances), but a wins a win. We need bodies back. Smith was awful and looks out on his feet.

We take it to next weekend, but we need some favours. Ipswich have taken Peterborough apart, and Plymouth were very comfortable against Cambridge.

8 minutes ago, Kiwi Owl said:

Glad Barnsley won since it keeps their slight chance of automatic promotion in tact

However, I'd rest Windass till the play offs if he has a chance of coming back. More than likely that's where we'll be

To think 93 points won't get you promoted in a season is crazy talk.

He's out for the season 

I think our approach in the first half was to conserve energy because they are out on their feet. The likes of Palmer, Smith, I am going to say Bannan because he was motionless the first 45.

But Andy is spot on, it never works if Bannan is in a two, its rarely worked with Smith, Gregory and another striker.

We got a result in the end but unlike Ipswich and Plymouth we aren't racing to the line playing promotion style football

1 hour ago, KrolMong said:

We need bodies back. Smith was awful and looks out on his feet.

We have bodies but he's not using them. If Barnsley and Plymouth win on Tuesday then he needs to drop Smith for the last two games and start giving game time to Shipston and Durrant. We can rearrange to play Gregory on his own and 2 or 3 behind him. Both 'kids' can play in behind and we might need them in the playoffs

If Moore does that then he might find that Smith isn't dying on his feet after 20 mins. But this is where Moore's addiction to volume comes and bites him on the arse. Even if he doesn't play Smith then he'd still have him in for training so he'd still get no rest.

2 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

We have bodies but he's not using them. If Barnsley and Plymouth win on Tuesday then he needs to drop Smith for the last two games and start giving game time to Shipston and Durrant. We can rearrange to play Gregory on his own and 2 or 3 behind him. Both 'kids' can play in behind and we might need them in the playoffs

If Moore does that then he might find that Smith isn't dying on his feet after 20 mins. But this is where Moore's addiction to volume comes and bites him on the arse. Even if he doesn't play Smith then he'd still have him in for training so he'd still get no rest.

Sounds good but he won’t.

Well stayed away again and didnt know the result until after it finished.

Its a win, yes we'd love a performance but how many times over the years have we or other teams got over the line by grinding out the results - loads.

I think we are likely to get 96points (not taking anything for granted) which an immense number of points not to get promoted with but to be fair to DM he predicted it would be tight and whilst three clubs have pulled a small gaps from the rest its not that far back to 7th.

Still think we are destined for the playoffs but beating Derby to keep them out of the playoffs will be satisfying for the last home game.

Then on to the lottery, I just hope DM doesnt over train them for the final push. Having Icky, Pato and maybe Windass back will hopefully mean they are fairly fresh for the run in. Wouldnt it be typical for BB to get an injury in one of the next 2 games.

Iorfa had his best game for ages and Ihiekwe helped us look a lot more steady when he came on.

I’m not convinced Plymouth are outplaying us right now. They were comfortable today, we were the same v Accrington, they struggled past Exeter and so did we, they lost to Lincoln. But their run-in will see them home. 

1 hour ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

I think we are likely to get 96points (not taking anything for granted) which an immense number of points not to get promoted with but to be fair to DM he predicted it would be tight and whilst three clubs have pulled a small gaps from the rest its not that far back to 7th.

Number of points doesn't matter if we're not promoted. 

Number of people are saying 11 points (possibly) more than last season is a step in the right direction. It's jack all if there's no end product.

Just ask Notts County fans.

We're currently five games better off than 6th place yet we'll both be on the same pitch in the semis.

Unless we go up this is a season thrown away, an opportunity of our own making lost by our own undoing. Record unbeaten runs and more points than last season will count for nothing 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Number of people are saying 11 points (possibly) more than last season is a step in the right direction. It's jack all if there's no end product.

We're currently five games better off than 6th place yet we'll both be on the same pitch in the semis.

Unless we go up this is a season thrown away, an opportunity of our own making lost by our own undoing. Record unbeaten runs and more points than last season will count for nothing 

All fair, but it also means we’ve done as much as any team would expect to do and just fallen short. Disappointing but no justification for the way some fans have abandoned the team recently. 

1 hour ago, Tylluan said:

Your right, and while I'm no fan of Moores tactics at all, in some ways if we get, say 96 points everyone 1 of us would have snapped your hand off for that at start. 

Many will say with that he deserves another go and that's understandable, but not for me. 

Of course there's still the play offs and while I think we're playing that badly at the moment we've no chance, it would be just like us to do it when least expect it

1 hour ago, Chelters said:

All fair, but it also means we’ve done as much as any team would expect to do and just fallen short. Disappointing but no justification for the way some fans have abandoned the team recently. 

The run of games after Barnsley couldn't have been any better, so I think the fans are right to be pissed off with the manager or players at how automatic promotion has been thrown away

I hear what you’re saying Ty and I agree, it will be seen as a failure by most and potentially by the owner, but the point I’m making is DM knew it was going to be likely that 95+ pts would potentially be needed and it could be tight at the top and so has turned out. So should have pushed harder for reinforcements. I think it’s hard on him because we don’t know what was going on. He’s not someone that jabbers on about this player or that we tried for and I for one respect that, it’s not appropriate or actually helpful.

In many of the recent seasons the points we’ve already accumulated would be enough for a top 2 spot and if we did get 96 it would certainly be good enough, but not this one.

I agree he’s made mistakes, but so does every manager, even Pep, Klopp etc.

I think he’s been unlucky with some of the injuries but mostly he’s been let down by some of the players, in particular the likes of FDBj that flattered to deceive at the start of the season, I think Iorfa should be a stalwart of the team but has been like a rabbit in the headlights at times when we needed someone in the defence to step up and Wilks well I don’t know what to think exactly but we’ve missed someone with his pace and power to stretch defences and when the transfer window was open it looked like he was on his way back and to this day do we really know what’s wrong.

I might be in the minority here but I’d be tempted to stay with DM unless some of the proven managers from higher leagues can be tempted by DC. I can’t see it happening though even though it’s potentially the smart move because a better manager can get more out of average or inconsistent players. Sometimes it’s better the devil you know. The question is will L1 be harder next season, yes I’m guessing but at least we have someone that knows the course.

• Like 1

Was a difficult watch that. Probably one of the most disjointed and chaotic Wednesday performances I’ve ever seen. But Exeter just seemed to go for it, particularly caprice on the right hand side and the makeshift striker. They had a good go but didn’t really have their bearings. Their goal was a real surprise as it was a bit of quality that clicked. Whilst we did nothing for 50 mins, frozen in some kind of paralysis. 

Once we scored they seemed to lose that adrenaline rush they were on and thankfully we got the second but it really did seem like we took two half chances. I am sanguine about that as we have 90 points as a result and over the season we are better than what we showed. It was a case of job done. But this team seems absolutely shattered and it was survival of a the fittest at the end. Adeniran came in and did well but as soon as we did basic stuff we scored.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

I hear what you’re saying Ty and I agree, it will be seen as a failure by most and potentially by the owner, but the point I’m making is DM knew it was going to be likely that 95+ pts would potentially be needed and it could be tight at the top and so has turned out. So should have pushed harder for reinforcements. I think it’s hard on him because we don’t know what was going on. He’s not someone that jabbers on about this player or that we tried for and I for one respect that, it’s not appropriate or actually helpful.

In many of the recent seasons the points we’ve already accumulated would be enough for a top 2 spot and if we did get 96 it would certainly be good enough, but not this one.

I agree he’s made mistakes, but so does every manager, even Pep, Klopp etc.

I think he’s been unlucky with some of the injuries but mostly he’s been let down by some of the players, in particular the likes of FDBj that flattered to deceive at the start of the season, I think Iorfa should be a stalwart of the team but has been like a rabbit in the headlights at times when we needed someone in the defence to step up and Wilks well I don’t know what to think exactly but we’ve missed someone with his pace and power to stretch defences and when the transfer window was open it looked like he was on his way back and to this day do we really know what’s wrong.

I might be in the minority here but I’d be tempted to stay with DM unless some of the proven managers from higher leagues can be tempted by DC. I can’t see it happening though even though it’s potentially the smart move because a better manager can get more out of average or inconsistent players. Sometimes it’s better the devil you know. The question is will L1 be harder next season, yes I’m guessing but at least we have someone that knows the course.

How on earth could Moore have known we would need 95+ points? Only one team ever since it's been three points for a win has got 90 points in the third division and not got autos, that'll be passed and possibly smashed this year. 

OM I maybe extrapolating a tad in the specifics of what he has said but he has said on several occasions how competitive he thinks it will be (from the start) and whilst you’re right I don’t think he said a specific points tally he has suggested it could be more than last season and more clubs in the running, which is what has happened.

90points already is some tally as frustrating as it is that we are only 3rd. Who knows unlikely as it seems we still might sneak with what will surely need to be 96pts and we could still end up picking no more points. However if we manage to get up by the playoffs it will become academic and failure will become a modest success