Oxford, It's going to be a Good Friday and we're going to comma way with all 3 points match thread

Just heard Moore on Radio Sheffield

"Last 20 mins they matched our formation and the game petered out" Change the fucking formation then, Darren. 

"We're a bit short of attacking options at the moment" (or some such bollocks) What's the fucking point of having Durrant (or Shipston) on the bench and then say we don't have options, Darren?

I know people are shouting for Cadamarteri to be involved but he'd just be sat on his arse in the dug out for 90 minutes, like the other two, so what's the point. 

Might as well raffle that bench seat off as the ultimate match day experience for all the good it's doing. 

Moore is bottling playing the kids , bottling changing formation, bottling making positive changes, and throwing the whole season away. Problem for him now, though, is we're out of the autos and he has nowhere to hide on Monday 

• Like 2

We’ve run out of legs. That’s the negative of relying on players who are the wrong side of 30, and where the replacements are not up to scratch.

We are carrying players, Bakinson, Dele, Wilkes and Adeniran. All young, athletic players and all players who haven’t contributed anything for a long while now. They can’t be trusted to contribute in a positive way but because we have injuries, at least one has to play every game.

Just a notable comment on Moore. At Donny, that team had run out of legs after going on a run and he was struggling to correct it, before we came in for him.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

I’m so glad football doesn’t spoil my weekend anymore. 

It’s spoiled mine. 

Probably a lot more than it has those who earn a living out of the club.

As for that humble pie I ate re Moore, I’ve just thrown it back up. I think deep down I knew the making of him wasn’t about the unbeaten run, but more how he’d fair as a manager when it ended.

And so far he’s been absolute fucking shit! And the players aren’t far behind, especially those who were supposed to step up to the plate to cover for injured first teamers! 

Wankers! 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

"Last 20 mins they matched our formation and the game petered out" Change the fucking formation then, Darren. 

"We're a bit short of attacking options at the moment" (or some such bollocks) What's the fucking point of having Durrant (or Shipston) on the bench and then say we don't have options, Darren?

I know people are shouting for Cadamarteri to be involved but he'd just be sat on his arse in the dug out for 90 minutes, like the other two, so what's the point. 

Might as well raffle that bench seat off as the ultimate match day experience for all the good it's doing. 

Moore is bottling playing the kids , bottling changing formation, bottling making positive changes, and throwing the whole season away. Problem for him now, though, is we're out of the autos and he has nowhere to hide on Monday 

This 

7 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Cause it petered out you brought fucking bashiru and that fucking donkey iorfa on 

10 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

He is bottling using the kids. Maybe there not good enough but the time to blend them I'm was during 20 plus game unbeaten run. Shipston especially looks a better option than any of those on bench but he clearly doesn't trust him and the lad must know that.

Probably start him Monday 

I honestly think that Moore goes home tonight and thinks we'd have won that if it wasn't for Eastwood. At at that point he goes all Officer Barbrady and starts telling himself "nothing to see here, move on." 

Then he goes to work in the morning and his mindset is 'it worked for 23 games so it'll come good again' and nothing will change. 

• Like 1

We could have done more to keep the fringe players involved but a lot of our games have been so close and it’s relentless. Presumably they could have helped the u23s also and got a bit more sharpness. Having said that I thought Wilks was one of the better ones today and others who have played a lot we’re not finding each other and just launching it. 

What was clear to me at the last 20 mins though was that this lot are done for now. Only hope for them is the better players coming back for the play off lottery 

Didn’t go, didn’t watch it, had some things to do which were more important.

If anyone knows how you get an elderly relative new hearing aids sorted in less than 2months Im all ears, no pun intended. Poor thing has literally not been able to hear without her aids all the time.

Anyway, Mondays game could be DMs biggest game of his time at Hillsborough. I’ve always been forgiving about the relegation, he inherited a shambles.

Anything less than a convincing win could see us finish this season in a whimper because whilst none of the remaining opposition are anything special, the longer this no win goes the more the mentality will be that we’ve blown it and the confidence will dive. Also let’s face it we didn’t exactly do well against Bolton or the Dingles. The Dingles have the 2wins over us this season and Bolton were the better footballing team when we played them at Hillsborough. They also have the experience of playing at Wembley recently which isn’t to be overlooked if you look at some recent winners in the playoffs, although I think at this stage it’s hard to see us holding even 3rd position. Happy Easter everyone!

Highlights , just seen them and that pen has to be one of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen and we’ve seen some howlers.

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0

2 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

That was an absolutely disgraceful showing 2nd half. Wtf is wrong with them? This simply doesn't look like the same players. A complete shower of shit. Not one brain cell between them. And on what possible basis was Stockdale on the pitch? Two howlers in two games. Now three.

Cheltenham goal was debatable with the weather. Thought he should have done better against Lincoln for their goal, but don't blame him for the shot in the build up to the pen today as he saw it late. We've got two average goalkeepers, if we don't go up its not down to who's been starting in goal IMO 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

If anyone knows how you get an elderly relative new hearing aids sorted in less than 2months Im all ears, no pun intended. Poor thing has literally not been able to hear without her aids all the time.

Like everything else in this Country......pay for it,as the NHS is an utter shambles.

That's not me coming across rude but it won't be long before everything goes private.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

Didn’t go, didn’t watch it, had some things to do which were more important.

Anyway, Mondays game could be DMs biggest game of his time at Hillsborough. I’ve always been forgiving about the relegation, he inherited a shambles.

Anything less than a convincing win could see us finish this season in a whimper because whilst none of the remaining opposition are anything special, the longer this no win goes the more the mentality will be that we’ve blown it and the confidence will dive. Also let’s face it we didn’t exactly do well against Bolton or the Dingles. The Dingles have the 2wins over us this season and Bolton were the better footballing team when we played them at Hillsborough. They also have the experience of playing at Wembley recently which isn’t to be overlooked if you look at some recent winners in the playoffs, although I think at this stage it’s hard to see us holding even 3rd position. Happy Easter everyone!

Highlights , just seen them and that pen has to be one of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen and we’ve seen some howlers.

Have you tried Specsavers? they do hearing test and aids free of charge.

6 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Because we have a fucktard as manager. The spat between Palmer and Bannan was very telling. Was it just in the heat of the game, or more behind it. The latter would explain a lot 

Probably Baz giving Palmer a fooking for being the Palmer of old.  His form has dropped as much as any.  Still blame him for starting this shit show for Barnsleys first.   

Luckily for us they seemed happy with their point and just saw out the 10 added minutes without s single problem

With 6 and a half added minutes played Bashiru gave away a totally stupid needless free kick in the corner at their end and just runs off showing no emotion and without a care in the world attitude as if there was 90 minutes still left to play

Bashiru, Wilks, Adeniran and Bakinson should have all been replaced/challenged by getting much better players in in January

To only bring Flint in - and he was a replacement not an addition - in January was ludicrous - as if we weren't expecting any injuries or suspensions until the end of the season

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Did this run coincide with the Bannan new contract? Only gave it a thought after the altercation with Palmer 

It happens in games from time to time. In certain scenarios we would be pleased it showed "pashun" but in others it is evidence of behind the scenes tensions spilling over.

If you read Stalk then the presence of Chansiri around the players is now being pushed as a reason.

Who knows, to me its still the 23 game unbeaten run became a noose. As someone joked the Wednesday way would be to do that then go 23 games without actually winning. 25% of the way there !

All I know is anyone ever suggesting Wednesday will piss this league are not only wrong but deluded. Until this Club gets a sustainable long term plan for development we are going nowhere.

Even if we stumble over the line somehow this season, let's be honest what would be the plan.

4 minutes ago, holmesfield_owl said:

I wouldn't trust Moore again next season in this league let alone the one above if we do sneak up.

The suspicion that Moore may not have the abilities to get us over the line was fairly common on here. To me whilst he may score highly on motivation etc it is offset by tactical inadequacy.

He has been out thought by far too many and his inability to make game changer subs or tactics switches is pretty clear.

The fact he has failed miserably to integrate any younger lads is my biggest bugbear. I don't think any are hidden gems but yesterday's game lacked energy, it lacked spark. You never know, give it a go.

At HT Oxford brought on an 18 year old. He made a difference. 

I find it embarrassing for the Club as a whole our inability to bring thru younger players

To add whilst many a manager can out think Moore, whether any of them would be able to step up to face the pressure of managing Wednesday is another matter

It is the way forward for Wednesday, develop an identity, a playing culture, use in house resources primarily.

The signing of Smith last summer was a meh moment in terms of achieving that. I get why we did it, Smith has been an ok player. It's not having a go at him but the ethos behind it. 

13 hours ago, Gleadless Owl said:

Cheltenham goal was debatable with the weather. Thought he should have done better against Lincoln for their goal, but don't blame him for the shot in the build up to the pen today as he saw it late. We've got two average goalkeepers, if we don't go up its not down to who's been starting in goal IMO 

I’m exactly here. He’s been slated for not saving the pen too, largely based on a picture from behind the goal which looks  like the ball is heading into his hands. It was absolutely hammered at him.

Dawson got stick in the Dingles game, and the FGR game too, for his performances. 

The dogs abuse Stockdale is getting, plus the others are symptomatic of where we are and how it’s gone in the last month. No, I’m not saying it’s acceptable the way we’re playing though. 

Bannan giving Palmer a bollocking was 100% being a captain & calling Palmer out, I lost count how many times he got caught out of position in the 1st half, thankfully Flint & Famewo bailed him out.

These players have to now step up, let's see how good they really are over these next few weeks, it's easy to be on a high & full of smiles when things are good, let's see what they are really made of.

2 minutes ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Bannan giving Palmer a bollocking was 100% being a captain & calling Palmer out, I lost count how many times he got caught out of position in the 1st half, thankfully Flint & Famewo bailed him out.

These players have to now step up, let's see how good they really are over these next few weeks, it's easy to be on a high & full of smiles when things are good, let's see what they are really made of.

I’d no issue with that at all. The tackle that Palmer attempted just prior to that, was awful, much like the mistimed half arsed one which resulted in the goal against Lincoln.

Bannan’s performance first half was something else, but in the second half yesterday was largely awful. Wonder if anyone bollocked him though?

We insist on his floaty corners, all to the back post, every time. Yes, Flint caused bother, but it’s still come to nothing. So stop it! Try something else.

Bannan can be an asset but as we’ve seen many times, when we rely on him to try to be the fulcrum of everything without someone else alongside him with legs. Or the same speed of thought. He can quickly be anonymous. 

That’s why we miss Byers and Windass so much, one has the legs to support and the other makes the runs in behind that Gregory can’t. And shouldn’t have to because it’s not his strength. Bannan feeds off them, and they thrive off him.

I said it during the run, the three of Byers, Vaulks and Bannan is the best trio in this division and the majority of the one above. However, take the first one out and it highlights the inabilities of the other two because Byers does a bit of everything that the others can. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

The suspicion that Moore may not have the abilities to get us over the line was fairly common on here. To me whilst he may score highly on motivation etc it is offset by tactical inadequacy.

He has been out thought by far too many and his inability to make game changer subs or tactics switches is pretty clear.

The fact he has failed miserably to integrate any younger lads is my biggest bugbear. I don't think any are hidden gems but yesterday's game lacked energy, it lacked spark. You never know, give it a go.

At HT Oxford brought on an 18 year old. He made a difference. 

I find it embarrassing for the Club as a whole our inability to bring thru younger players

This, that young lad had a massive impact on the game immediately. His pace alone opened up the space for them.

DM would never have even considered using such a talent 

20 minutes ago, Beaconowl said:

This, that young lad had a massive impact on the game immediately. His pace alone opened up the space for them.

DM would never have even considered using such a talent 

When we dragged Wilks off we lost any pace and the closest on the bench was Durrant. He might have been toss and he might have been a revelation but we'll never know cos Moore stuck on a player who thinks he's off to play European football next season. 

It'll be the same on Monday because Moore will want to 'protect' whichever kid is on the bench if the crowd are restless. He'll also be praying that Smith is fit and Pato is fit enough to do 20 mins. 

• Like 1

Reflecting on yesterday it’s become obvious that three things have run out : confidence, legs and luck. There’s no obvious way of getting any of them back so we just have to keep chipping away and hope.

We gambled on keeping a small, close-knit squad and it has bitten us on the arse big time. The only area where we really have any cover is midfield and the cover players have been crap.

For all of the justified criticism though the biggest single factor is the injuries to Byers and Windass at the same time. If they’d stayed fit I am absolutely convinced we would have been at least 6 or 7 points better off now. It’s a real slice of Wednesday luck is that. 

1 hour ago, Chelters said:

Reflecting on yesterday it’s become obvious that three things have run out : confidence, legs and luck. There’s no obvious way of getting any of them back so we just have to keep chipping away and hope.

We gambled on keeping a small, close-knit squad and it has bitten us on the arse big time. The only area where we really have any cover is midfield and the cover players have been crap.

For all of the justified criticism though the biggest single factor is the injuries to Byers and Windass at the same time. If they’d stayed fit I am absolutely convinced we would have been at least 6 or 7 points better off now. It’s a real slice of Wednesday luck is that. 

The massive presumption is that any acquisitions in January would have strengthened the squad. To me, certainly when it comes to attacking players is that they have invariably failed to integrate. 

The injuries have been detrimental but I am not that convinced January signings would have been the saviour

Hindsight is a great thing; but fair play to anyone who did state back in January that we ought to have strengthened rather than saying it now.

Forward wise then we had Windass, Smith, Gregory, Wilks and Paterson all available. We’d have been hard pressed to find quality to challenge the first three so we’d have been bringing someone in as fourth choice better than Wilks/Paterson - is that realistic.

Midfield, we appeared covered, the fact that the trio of Adeniran, FDB and Bakinson have failed to step up to the mark when required couldn’t really have been foreseen.

Right wing back? - we had Palmer, Hunt and Paterson.

Left wing back? - Johnson, James and Brown.

Centre half - maybe.

• Like 2

The thing is even though back in January we had all those available… Wilks hadn’t and still hasn’t shown why we chased him, Pato was off to Hearts it seemed.

That left us with 3. For me we needed to strengthen up front.

Midfield.Yes, as I’ve already said elsewhere, We had the best 3 in the division. But the rest hadn’t shown aside from FDB in the first month of the season, that they were up to the fight. And we were expecting FDB to somehow resurrect those flashes into full games, when in reality he’s never done that. 

We definitely needed a centre back with Heneghan out, Flint has come in and done well. Ihiekwe then getting injured on top of that was bad luck. Sometimes you’ve got to accept it as that. 

Wing backs wise, Palmer has done very well this season, and was around January very good IIRC. Hunt has/had gone but…you could argue Hunt and or Pato as backup wasn’t the worst. 
On the other side, James/Famewo/Johnson have been decent, we were covered. 

Another quality forward and midfielder, on top of Flint would have made a huge difference. They could have (and hindsight is a wonderful thing) been the difference between us losing our lead and extending it.

Do we know if it was DC reluctant to spend or DM thinking what was on offer wasn’t good enough to add to the team? We’ll never know. 

24 minutes ago, cheat said:

Forward wise then we had Windass, Smith, Gregory, Wilks and Paterson all available. We’d have been hard pressed to find quality to challenge the first three so we’d have been bringing someone in as fourth choice better than Wilks/Paterson - is that realistic.

At the start of the season we had all those and still brought in Mighten, who was a winger/wide forward when he came. 

We never replaced Mighten. He was never pushing the first 3 but he was part of a second line. If Thompson, Holdsworth, and Moore thought, in January, that our academy forwards weren't good enough yet then we should have got a PL2 loanee  in to cover the Mighten position and there were plenty that were up for being loaned out. The budget was there as Mighten was supposed to be season long. 

If he'd never have played then it wouldn't have made a difference, but if we'd have got someone in that had been fully around the first team since January then maybe, just maybe, Moore would have trusted them to do a job now. 

Whilst I’d have liked us to strengthen in Jan I agree with sentiments that we didn’t look particularly threadbare except at centre half and he /we signed Flint and I think he’s done what it says on the tin, ie head everything that needs heading and done the no nonsense defending. Anyone thinking we’d signed a ball playing centre half was always going to be disappointed.

Whilst it appears not strengthening ala Ipswich has meant we are probably going to fall short I didn’t expect the three midfielders of Bakinson, Adeniran and FDB to have been so poor in the 2nd half of the season. Although I think Denis is just struggling the other two I’m not sure what there problem is.

Having said that I agree with Ty about a replacement for Mighten but tbh an upgrade on him would have been tricky I suspect whilst not having to guarantee a starting place which I can understand DM would have been resistant to that notion unless it was someone really good.

I feel it’s a combination of factors that have brought us to this point but putting all down to not strengthening seems like an overly simple suggestion bc we’ve seen loanees signed we thought would be great and been next to useless.

I like many think it looks unlikely at the moment but it could all change again, just look at where we were not that long ago re the automatic promotion positions.
It could be the most silly or basic thing that could suddenly spark us back on the right track but I think our best chance remains overhauling Plymouth but we will probably need to win all our remaining games.

• Like 1

At the start of the season Windass was a bit of a luxury player, and I said as much. As we were stuttering through games, he didn’t seem to fit; but like the rest they got into their stride.

As for Pato. I’d still say if we’re to progress, he moves on. I’ve always loved his work ethic, it’s fantastic, and something which we’re short of NOW  (and his off pitch stuff is great too) but we need more than that longer term, and I think it would be better for him on the pitch is to go elsewhere too. 

2 hours ago, Skamp said:

I hear you, but right now we're not here to worry about next season, we need to go up and we need to go up automatically. 

That's why I said, I'd have him in NOW because he offers the determination others don't have. To get us over the line.

Just seen the penalty incident with Wilks again and I’m not so sure now. There’s a bit of holding to start with but when they go over I think their number 5 has hold of Wilks and drags him down but you can’t see it as the main angle is from the wrong side. If you look at it in the mindset that that’s what happened it really isn’t so clear. 

We had more of a shout recently when Flint was held, yet the Ref then gave a fk to the opposition.

Player on the floor and he's clearly tripped and stopped a goal scoring opportunity even though he's no idea where he is... Bent

We are going to have the first goalkeeper sent off for time wasting. We have already had the first and possibly only player (David Jones) red carded for responding to the Ref.

There's summat corrupt going on, it's the only reasoning I have for the amount of decisions going against us and not for us.

Edited by Ozzie