Can we Gloucs over the FGR defeat on Wednesday - Cheltenham match thread

Reesh

1 minute ago, Otto_Man said:

Can't work out of I'm chuffed we got a point or gutted we didn't take all 3. One thing's for certain though, Dawson concedes that second and he gets dogs abuse on here. Not digging Stockdale out by the way, kept us in it first half.

Couldn't make that out at the far end through the monsoon, Otto. What happened?

8 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Couldn't make that out at the far end through the monsoon, Otto. What happened?

Initial shot from distance saved, but palmed back into the middle of the box and May taps it in. Exactly the sort of thing Dawson gets called biscuit wrists for

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

Initial shot from distance saved, but palmed back into the middle of the box and May taps it in. Exactly the sort of thing Dawson gets called biscuit wrists for

Yeah he didn’t cover himself in glory with that. Got down very late. 
Disappointing that the defence stood about almost waiting to react, whereas May, didn’t. 

10 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

Like those three wonder saves in first half, that people would say Dawson is a good keeper for but unlike Dawson, they  didn't need to be made because of his own mistake in the build up...

4 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Like those three wonder saves in first half, that people would say Dawson is a good keeper for but unlike Dawson, they  didn't need to be made because of his own mistake in the build up...

Tbf to Otto though pal, he did defend him for those saves a little earlier in the thread. 

4 minutes ago, Andyben said:

You mean like how I said "not digging Stockdale out, he kept us in the game first half" in my original post?

It's like you want us to fail, or more you want DM to fail to prove you right, you're becoming the MK to DMs Carlos

Sorry Dron, but it looks like we won’t see Byers. Or that’s the impression I get.
Windass is a week or so away. 

Bakinson is a passenger. I’d not put him anywhere near the starting XI. Two abysmal games from him. Adeniran isn’t the player he was, seemingly, but I’d rather have him in than Bakinson at least we get effort from Adeniran. 

Byers’ injuries concern me, he’s a vital cog in our wheel, but he seems to be getting a little ‘Hutch-like’ injury wise. 
I was talking to some mates over here yesterday about Saturday, and the visiting fans this weekend are still expecting a tonking from us. Comments about the Lincoln players such as ‘they’ve got their flips flops on, contracts expiring and they’re off so don’t care’ were comments I heard from a few. 
Here’s to that being the case!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dronowl66 said:

Grandaughter lifts me up Hoyland smashes me right back down lol cheers . Whats Famewo done to not make the team for two games , worst thing about this run is its given Plymouth and Ipswich a massive lift we could and should have had them both dead and buried by this morning 

Hahha!!!

I think we’ll win on Saturday. 

47 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

It's the general theme of all your posts. 1 win in 5 I think you posted earlier in this thread, it's all just so depressing.

It's just a shame because when you want to be you're one of the better posters on this board.

But it's a fact and reflection of how we've slipped to such an extent that from '...100 points minimum & piss the league' (my own statement) we're now battling to stay in the top 2.

And it is all to do with momentum, we've lost that air of invincibility, perhaps the two late goals yesterday will make the squad push on, but looking at the last four matches (and dodgy refereeing aside) we've been absolutely awful - 1 point from FGR & Cheltenham is indefensible.

And that simply has to be laid at the feet of Moore, he picks the team and sets them up, but also he is responsible for changing it when it isn't working - and its evident that Moore simply can't do this on a regular basis and hasn't in the two & a half seasons he's been in charge.

If we do come third - do you think we'll win the play offs?

9 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Love these from Stockdale…

Bloody hell. Absolute top bloke. And tbf quite a few in this squad. Makes such a difference from the media trained stars in prem.

I think he'd be great on coaching staff

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Andyben said:

But it's a fact and reflection of how we've slipped to such an extent that from '...100 points minimum & piss the league' (my own statement) we're now battling to stay in the top 2.

And it is all to do with momentum, we've lost that air of invincibility, perhaps the two late goals yesterday will make the squad push on, but looking at the last four matches (and dodgy refereeing aside) we've been absolutely awful - 1 point from FGR & Cheltenham is indefensible.

And that simply has to be laid at the feet of Moore, he picks the team and sets them up, but also he is responsible for changing it when it isn't working - and its evident that Moore simply can't do this on a regular basis and hasn't in the two & a half seasons he's been in charge.

We haven’t been absolutely awful in the last 4 games at all 

bolton, we could have been 3 up and for 30 minutes they couldn’t live with us, we were the better team for the most part against Barnsley and last night took us a while to get going but that games goes on another 5 minutes and we win.

Only  FG where we failed to turn up at all

I’m not going to jump on Moore. But, what baffles me last night was the picking of Iorfa and Bakinson.

Iorfa was hooked at half time at the weekend. Bakinson was anonymous. I semi understand with Bakinson because Adeniran and Dele are so far out of form it’s ridiculous. But Iorfa made no sense.

The issue was have now is the sheer number of back up players who are out of form. We have lost Byers, and the three that have come in have offered zero. We have a big squad, but we can’t be carrying players at this stage of the season. And last night we carried Bakinson, Hunt and Iorfa. Those three ought to be apologizing to the rest of the group for the display, and looking at what they need to do to get better. I’d also level the same at Adeniran and Bashiru too.

In terms of Saturday. We might need to go to a 4-4-2. Play Bannan and Vaulks in the middle, Johnson left, Wilkes right and Smith and Gregory up top. Back four would be Palmer, Flint, Famewo and James.

1 hour ago, KrolMong said:

I’m not going to jump on Moore. But, what baffles me last night was the picking of Iorfa and Bakinson.

Iorfa was hooked at half time at the weekend. Bakinson was anonymous. I semi understand with Bakinson because Adeniran and Dele are so far out of form it’s ridiculous. But Iorfa made no sense.

The issue was have now is the sheer number of back up players who are out of form. We have lost Byers, and the three that have come in have offered zero. We have a big squad, but we can’t be carrying players at this stage of the season. And last night we carried Bakinson, Hunt and Iorfa. Those three ought to be apologizing to the rest of the group for the display, and looking at what they need to do to get better. I’d also level the same at Adeniran and Bashiru too.

In terms of Saturday. We might need to go to a 4-4-2. Play Bannan and Vaulks in the middle, Johnson left, Wilkes right and Smith and Gregory up top. Back four would be Palmer, Flint, Famewo and James.

Bannan in a 'two'....

1 hour ago, KrolMong said:

I'd be happy with that.  Won't happen though

1 hour ago, Andyben said:

Bannan in a 'two'....

Bannan looks like Roy Keane next to Dele, Dennis and Bakinson. The amount of defensive work he’s had to put in due to all of those three simply not doing it has been scary. We’ve played a three, with him the highest of them, and he’s got deeper and deeper as they’ve slowly disappeared from the game.

If one of them steps up, then we can revert back to our favoured shape with the three.

The other option is we throw Shipstone in for a game.

23 minutes ago, Dronowl66 said:

How do you know ? do you know who we tried to get ? do you know that Chansiri said were not bringing anyone in ? No you dont its no more than an ill informed opinion based on the sqaure root of nothing 

Like your calling fans racist you fuckwit.

5 hours ago, Andyben said:

Welcome back 😉!

Can't argue with any of that, although I think he's been somewhat unlucky with injuries and the players brought in being bang out of form.

Can't think about the play offs, as I can't see us beating any of the teams in there at the minute, although I suppose one would have to take our spot.

Big game Saturday, can see the atmosphere getting nasty if we're struggling...

3 hours ago, KrolMong said:

I wondered about 4-4-2 this morning, but couldn't work out if I was throwing the baby out with the bath water. What concerns me about going with it Saturday is that if we don't get off to a flyer, it takes the players a little while to adjust and the crowd gets itchy, it could actually go against us.

On an unrelated note, any know when Paterson is due back?

Without that rain I reckon we'd have won that.

Saying that the Ref would've had a say in it i'm sure. How do we get penalised for being fouled? The 2 pen decisions go the other way and they're given. They fall o'er it's a freekick, we get fouled and it's either ignored or a decision their way?!  Sick to the back teeth of the bent officiating in our game, summats off, either betting or just plain bent. Far too many wrong decisions to be just one of them things. Even the Cheltenham commentary were bemused by some of it 

For the millionth time we will have tried to get players to improve the squad but they weren't available.  I can't understand how people would have been happy with blowing money on 3 or 4 players who offered nothing but shirt filling.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, JBO said:

For the millionth time we will have tried to get players to improve the squad but they weren't available.  I can't understand how people would have been happy with blowing money on 3 or 4 players who offered nothing but shirt filling.

We had the majority of bases covered with a large squad and would in all likelihood have been bringing someone in to be further down the pecking order.  

Our go to replacements were Wilks, Paterson, Adenerin, Bakinson and Adenerin and could not legislate for injuries and total abject form as well as injuries to key players in Windass and Byas.  

The one area I would have maybe looked at the was RWB what with Palmer covering defence and Hunt being obviously of diminishing fitness. 

• Like 2

Hindsight is playing a part. We had enough cover. If we had injuries to the midfield then we had Bakinson, Fizz and Dennis to fill in. All 3 of em have been utter shite since we lost George. Hard to see that happening from their early season form.

We had Paterson, Wilks as standby for Windass, Smith & Gregory.

Hard to blame DM, we were riding high, not his fault the ones who should've been chomping at the bit and staking their place should we get a disciplinary/ injury have not delivered/ looked arsed.

Hunt has faded dramatically and Palmer sometimes drops to his normal self rather than the 1 season fitness wonder he's been.

Marvin is hit and miss.

Bring someone in and they're not needed he gets flak for disharmony/wasting money 

40 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

I didn't do that though did I?

I get the point about players not being available that improve the squad but we have to turn to alternatives to cover scenarios that come up. A wing back and forward would have been sound investments even if not as good as we already have as they'd have given us options.

Although player x might not have improved the squad in January there would have come a time before the end of the season that they do improve the squad, last few weeks and going forward is that time.

No point people saying 'in hindsight', some had the foresight and did actually question it back then. If we remain in this division next season then it's right to ask questions and criticise 

Asking questions is just opportune. Who would know that we'd lose George and 3 of the bench warmers to take take his place would be utter toss? We only needed 1 of em to step up.

We had cover, they haven't turned up.

If we'd have brought someone in who's to say they would have been the magic interjection? DM would be getting pelters from the same ones now but using different ammo

3 hours ago, Ozzie said:

Without that rain I reckon we'd have won that.

Saying that the Ref would've had a say in it i'm sure. How do we get penalised for being fouled? The 2 pen decisions go the other way and they're given. They fall o'er it's a freekick, we get fouled and it's either ignored or a decision their way?!  Sick to the back teeth of the bent officiating in our game, summats off, either betting or just plain bent. Far too many wrong decisions to be just one of them things. Even the Cheltenham commentary were bemused by some of it 

I was with a Cheltenham fan and he was as mystified as I was with that late decision on Gregory. Complete bottle job by the ref, didn’t want to give an injury time penalty against the home team, simple as that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JBO said:

I read that as shit filling at first - but perhaps that would have been the case.

It is always the case that the players we don't sign are world beaters, generally until about 20 minutes into their first game when they are a waste of fucking money 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just watched the interview with DM from last night. Something of a strange response about why Stockdale played - “bc we’ve got two good keepers”.

whilst that might be true it just seems like an odd thing to say, ie no reason to change. On the other hand maybe a change given the two losses is the right shout. Do we assume he will play Saturday?

I agree with a lot of the above sentiments about there not being that much Moore can do if some of the squad players aren’t really arsed, because they’ve twigged they’ll be moved on in the Summer whatever happens.  That said, I found last night’s team selection bizarre and irritating.  Only someone with a simplistic view of football would blame Flint for Sunday’s shitshow.  Yes he saw a lot of the ball, but that was the main problem.  Some of the centre mids were hiding.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I read that as shit filling at first - but perhaps that would have been the case.

It is always the case that the players we don't sign are world beaters, generally until about 20 minutes into their first game when they are a waste of fucking money 

Then there's the ones turn into world beaters the longer they don't play...Rio Shipston being the latest who apparently deserves a start based on a total of less than 10 minutes in the first team and not even starting in the pizza cup.

8 hours ago, owl71 said:

I agree with a lot of the above sentiments about there not being that much Moore can do if some of the squad players aren’t really arsed, because they’ve twigged they’ll be moved on in the Summer whatever happens.  That said, I found last night’s team selection bizarre and irritating.  Only someone with a simplistic view of football would blame Flint for Sunday’s shitshow.  Yes he saw a lot of the ball, but that was the main problem.  Some of the centre mids were hiding.  

I wonder if Flint's omission was more down to the volume of games he's had to play?! He'd not played a ton before he got here and our schedule has been pretty relentless and  let's be right that backline shouldn't have had an issue with Morecambe.

Also think you could be on to something with players moving on. As we left Wembley all them years ago my mate turned to me and said, do you think they didn't turn up because they know they aren't good enough for the PL and they don't want to leave?!

Edited by Otto_Man

45 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

Then there's the ones turn into world beaters the longer they don't play...Rio Shipston being the latest who apparently deserves a start based on a total of less than 10 minutes in the first team and not even starting in the pizza cup.

I wonder if Flint's omission was more down to the volume of games he's had to play?! He'd not played a ton before he got here and our schedule has been pretty relentless and  let's be right that backline shouldn't have had an issue with Morecambe.

Also think you could be on to something with players moving on. As we left Wembley all them years ago my mate turned to me and said, do you think they didn't turn up because they know they aren't good enough for the PL and they don't want to leave?!

I have had this thought a lot, not just at Wednesday but all clubs.  In some respect is it turkeys voting for Christmas.

You need to hope that current players have confidence in their ability to step up play at the next level and also want to glory of a promotion on their CV.  

Of those involved against FGR and Cheltenham I do not expect FDB, Adenerin, Bakinson or Hunt to be involved if promoted.  Perhaps add Marvin Johnson to the list. 

4 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

I have had this thought a lot, not just at Wednesday but all clubs.  In some respect is it turkeys voting for Christmas.

You need to hope that current players have confidence in their ability to step up play at the next level and also want to glory of a promotion on their CV.  

Of those involved against FGR and Cheltenham I do not expect FDB, Adenerin, Bakinson or Hunt to be involved if promoted.  Perhaps add Marvin Johnson to the list. 

Funnily enough three of the four you've named I'd expect could stick around purely because they have age on their side. It's more some of the senior players I'd be looking at...

12 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

I simply put Flint's ommission down to the vile conditions. (If the decision was made late on.)  In any case it's not his game to be chasing the small, fleet of foot & low centre of gravity May around all night.  The rest of our lot could handle him in the air!  Famewo was again the stranger ommission perhaps. 

• Like 1

On 30/03/2023 at 16:28, Ozzie said:

Hindsight is playing a part. We had enough cover. If we had injuries to the midfield then we had Bakinson, Fizz and Dennis to fill in. All 3 of em have been utter shite since we lost George. Hard to see that happening from their early season form.

We had Paterson, Wilks as standby for Windass, Smith & Gregory.

Hard to blame DM, we were riding high, not his fault the ones who should've been chomping at the bit and staking their place should we get a disciplinary/ injury have not delivered/ looked arsed.

Hunt has faded dramatically and Palmer sometimes drops to his normal self rather than the 1 season fitness wonder he's been.

Marvin is hit and miss.

Bring someone in and they're not needed he gets flak for disharmony/wasting money 

I think that whilst we had other strikers we only had one true target man type in smith. Could’ve done with that type to compliment the others if anything happened to smith but thankfully it hasn’t yet. Paterson the most likely replacement but I don’t think it’s his natural game. Usually we’d at least have an u23 player who could fill in some of these positions too at league one level