NON Wednesday transfer thread 22/23

5 minutes ago, Professor Plum said:

Is Shaw still there or had they sent him somewhere else? Seem to remember he'd been moved onto Airdrie or somewhere. Be great company for each other if Shaw is still at Motherwell though. They'll be able to cower in their digs together.

Shaw is back at Celtic.

2 minutes ago, Professor Plum said:

Ross Barkley on £200k a week. Money to burn or what. Can't remember last time I saw him play.

WOW!! He never really blossomed into his full potential, did he?

200K a week to sit on your backside. Nice work if you can get it.

He will end up back at Everton or a Bournemouth type club IMO

17 minutes ago, LiamOwl said:

I don’t get the fuss over Gordon. Saw this morning there’s talk of him joining Chelsea for £25m plus Gallagher and Broja. I don’t think he’s better than either of them so no idea how they’ve worked that out. 

I agree. A straight swap for Gallagher might be about right, but Broja and £25m on top, no way.

I saw a quote attributed to Gordon a week ago saying something like “I need to be at a top club to get into the England World Cup squad”.

Now England might be lacking in options up front, but this smacked of delusion on a grand scale. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, M42Owl said:

I agree. A straight swap for Gallagher might be about right, but Broja and £25m on top, no way.

I saw a quote attributed to Gordon a week ago saying something like “I need to be at a top club to get into the England World Cup squad”.

Now England might be lacking in options up front, but this smacked of delusion on a grand scale. 

Yeah, him not being at a top club isn't the reason he won't be at the World Cup, it's because he's bang average, and we have other slightly less than bang average players in similar positions. I thought the same when I read about Calvert-Lewin this week. 

1 hour ago, Professor Plum said:

They were tipping Rangers. That is just crazy money isn't it. There was just a glimmer there but like you say, never got fulfilled did it.

Him being on $200k a week is exactly why he never fulfilled his potential. He seems more than happy to collect his pay cheque than play.

• Like 1

the Times on Saturday had an article on Leicester , they cannot afford to sign any new players . They have an annual wage bill of £192 million and need to cut it down which is why Schmicel was not offered a new contract . Even if they sell Fofana doubts remain if they can reinvest in new players. 

I think they could be dark horses for relegation

27 minutes ago, lobster said:

the Times on Saturday had an article on Leicester , they cannot afford to sign any new players . They have an annual wage bill of £192 million and need to cut it down which is why Schmicel was not offered a new contract . Even if they sell Fofana doubts remain if they can reinvest in new players. 

If any of the promoted sides can get it together, I think Leicester would be favourites for relegation. 

Or is that favourites for administration?

1 hour ago, lobster said:

Interesting pre match topic on Soccer Sunday - whilst Forest ended up losing you could see plenty in their play for them to be OK. Bournemouth in contrast don't. Fulham go up and down like a whore's knickers.

View was that teams that have flirted with relegation may be nervous there aren't 3 worse teams than them. Southampton being one, I agree on Leicester they have an air of us in the late 90s. Good players gradually replaced by not so good but cheaper alternatives. Still think Everton, perhaps even Villa are looking poor teams 

15 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Interesting pre match topic on Soccer Sunday - whilst Forest ended up losing you could see plenty in their play for them to be OK. Bournemouth in contrast don't. Fulham go up and down like a whore's knickers.

View was that teams that have flirted with relegation may be nervous there aren't 3 worse teams than them. Southampton being one, I agree on Leicester they have an air of us in the late 90s. Good players gradually replaced by not so good but cheaper alternatives. Still think Everton, perhaps even Villa are looking poor teams 

More like Blackburn.

Success bought by wealthy owner.

Owner dies.

Family more restrictive with funding.

Sell to survive.

Relegated 

“Blackpool winger Josh Bowler is set to have a medical at Nottingham Forest ahead of a move to the Premier League outfit.

It is understood Forest have agreed to pay around £4m for 23-year-old Bowler, who joined Blackpool from Everton in 2021.

If the deal goes through, Bowler will become Forest’s 20th signing since their promotion to the Premier League.

He came through Fulham’s academy, then joined Everton after spells with Aldershot and QPR.”

If Blackpool now have a few bob to spend due to the above, we may well be finding out shortly if there’s any truth in them wanting Dele-Bashiru.  

25 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Matty Longstaff is the other brother. The 'not as good as Sean' one. 

He was on loan at Mansfield last season so kinda gives you an idea of his level. 

But still represented them 14 times in the Prem apparently.

Not as good as his brother but surely above league 2?