Stick yer chimes where the sun don’t shine - Portsmouth (a)

HoylandOwl

1 hour ago, MAL said:

His job is to play football, not show off like a spoilt child.

He'll cost us this match if he carries on with his current job!

Before the booking he was inches away with a very late sliding, I'll be generous and call it a tackle.

It was a tackle. You said it yourself. 

Can I ask MAL, Have you played football at a decent level. He was probably sent out with instructions to get in there heads, which he did. Like you said tackle. It's not a tickling contest. That I think was his job. Job done won the game. 

Next week.

That is absolutely massive that 3 points. 

A travesty of a referee, both in the Iorfa sending off and the non sending off of Raggett. 

But what an away performance, yet again, solidity beyond compare. Clean sheet. 3 points for the 5th game running. 

There's a lot to like about Wednesday right now. 

• Like 1

That was a mesters display that. This Wednesday team are so well drilled out of possession that even against 10 men, Portsmouth looked good until they got 40 yards out. And actually, had Gregory’s touch been better, he’d have sent Dele Bashiru away one on one twice.

We have a system that very much is geared to ensuring Bannan, Windass and the wing backs can play. We looked so much more dangerous than them, even more so second half when we got a foothold. A fairer result would have been a win by 2 goals just in chances alone.

Our only issues are just over discipline. Waaaay too many free kicks today, the two yellows for Iorfa were harsh, but I did think we’d end up with 10 given how many fouls we committed. But, they should have ended up with 10 for the absolute horror tackle on Dele Bashiru. That’s a red on a Sunday morning, so an appalling decision by the ref.

Some outstanding displays today, Flint and Famewo, Dawson, Vaulks and Bannan, Smith and Windass and James was excellent when he came on and Brown had a good first half. Let’s hope the injury to Byers isn’t a bad one.

Just on Portsmouth, decent side and play some nice stuff, but no pace. It all broke down 35 yards out.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Vialli said:

It was a tackle. You said it yourself. 

Can I ask MAL, Have you played football at a decent level. He was probably sent out with instructions to get in there heads, which he did. Like you said tackle. It's not a tickling contest. That I think was his job. Job done won the game. 

Next week.

I did NOT say it was a tackle, I said "let's call it a tackle", it was that late it was a straight red if he caught him. 

What does it matter what level i have played at, is this where you tell me you know better because you were a star.

what he did was so stupid, it did not get in their heads, all it did was get in the refs head for the second half, where he gave us virtually nothing. 

The rest is just rubbish. 

It is a tickling contest now, I played when you could tackle hard, fairly and unfairly, not like the powderpuff stuff of today's game. 

2 minutes ago, MAL said:

I did NOT say it was a tackle, I said "let's call it a tackle", it was that late it was a straight red if he caught him. 

What does it matter what level i have played at, is this where you tell me you know better because you were a star.

what he did was so stupid, it did not get in their heads, all it did was get in the refs head for the second half, where he gave us virtually nothing. 

The rest is just rubbish. 

It is a tickling contest now, I played when you could tackle hard, fairly and unfairly, not like the powderpuff stuff of today's game. 

It was a tackle that he pulled out of. I also played when a tackle was a tackle. Things have changed.

From your comment of what does it matter I'm guessing Nomad league. 

At Wednesdays level it's tactics. 

Have a read up it's interesting. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Not watched as was travelling for most of it but that is a cracking result.

Iorfa presumably misses just one game, with Johnson back, then James will slot in to the back 3 

Too many left sided defenders in that reckoning and Iorfa plays on the right. 

More likely Palmer slots in, leaving Flint central and Famewo left, and Hunt or Adeniran take the RWB slot. After his second half showing I'd keep James at LWB. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Hard tackles (but fair or 50/50) are hardly ever allowed now. 

I disagree mate, depends on the ref. If he's on it he let's it flow. Tbh first half today I thought it was fair. The red did well but pompey and there commentators thought otherwise.  Maybe I wear blue and white specks.

This makes me laugh, in an article written by the Pompey press where they asked a fan for their opinion on the game. 

It was very frustrating and I don’t really understand why they were doing it from the 20th minute, but I guess that’s how teams get promoted.

You saw the players were also getting frustrated, people like Owen Dale and Connor Ogilvie, as Wednesday slowed the game down so it was difficult to make chances.

The referee could have been more forceful, he wasn’t really encouraging them to hurry up and should have intervened more.

Their goalkeeper kept killing time, while others were messing around by throwing the ball back to us when it was their own free-kick. It reminded me of Ipswich when their fans were throwing it further up the stand.

Awwww bless... Their manager didn't like it.

As we've said before on so many occasions, we've had our fair share of shithouse tactics against us over the years. And we've nearly always fell for it. 

While I get that some people don't like it, it's not 'nice' to see players kicking the ball away, or even at times people berating calling time wasting, game management. 

But it is exactly game management isn't it. And after all, isn't it about managing the game to get the result for your team? Or am I getting the idea of trying to win football games wrong? 

We don't play shithouse hoof football at every opportunity, we're playing some good stuff AND managing the game. From my point of view, it's bloody good management overall. DM has had his detractors on here, and everywhere over the past year or two, and I've not always been enamoured by things but I'm more than happy to get a large slice of humble pie and admit, right now, I wouldn't swap ANYTHING about our season, our squad. We're out working, out thinking, out scoring our opponents, if going unbeaten for 22 games, and winning the majority of those games in the process can't be applauded, then god knows when things can be applauded. 

We've got under the skin of Ipswich fans, one of which tried to have a pop at me on the OO twitter last night. It was funny, they're saltier than a freshly gritted road right now. While they conveniently forget that they've had probably had the biggest number of signings in the EFL this season, not for inconsiderate sums either. It's easy to blame others isn't it? We've all likely been there in the past too. 

Other team's fans rattle on about how much Barry Bannan is paid. Yet no one even considers how much the likes of Nathan Broadhead, Sam Morsy, et al at Ipswich are paid, but I bet it isn't 3p and a bag of Skips per week. Look how much they have spaffed away on players wages over the years and got their club into the shitpile they've been for 20 years... Again, we've been there too. It seems that many fans don't consider we're a club which has a much bigger fanbase, a bigger turnover, bigger attendances, than theirs which give us the option to pay potentially more wages than others. But don't let facts get in the way of a good argument!!!

It's easy to be disliked when you're at the top. So I say, here's to the next 5 years of being disliked. 

• Like 6

I got my head around the 6 minute injury time in first half sort of BUT not with regards the second half 6 minutes injury time.

12 minutes extra yesterday - it feels increasingly like Ref are extending the length of the game these days!

49 minutes ago, EBRA said:

I got my head around the 6 minute injury time in first half sort of BUT not with regards the second half 6 minutes injury time.

12 minutes extra yesterday - it feels increasingly like Ref are extending the length of the game these days!

Subs, Dele Bashiru injury, Iorfa red, all added up to the six minutes.

3 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Awwww bless... Their manager didn't like it.

As we've said before on so many occasions, we've had our fair share of shithouse tactics against us over the years. And we've nearly always fell for it. 

While I get that some people don't like it, it's not 'nice' to see players kicking the ball away, or even at times people berating calling time wasting, game management. 

But it is exactly game management isn't it. And after all, isn't it about managing the game to get the result for your team? Or am I getting the idea of trying to win football games wrong? 

We don't play shithouse hoof football at every opportunity, we're playing some good stuff AND managing the game. From my point of view, it's bloody good management overall. DM has had his detractors on here, and everywhere over the past year or two, and I've not always been enamoured by things but I'm more than happy to get a large slice of humble pie and admit, right now, I wouldn't swap ANYTHING about our season, our squad. We're out working, out thinking, out scoring our opponents, if going unbeaten for 22 games, and winning the majority of those games in the process can't be applauded, then god knows when things can be applauded. 

We've got under the skin of Ipswich fans, one of which tried to have a pop at me on the OO twitter last night. It was funny, they're saltier than a freshly gritted road right now. While they conveniently forget that they've had probably had the biggest number of signings in the EFL this season, not for inconsiderate sums either. It's easy to blame others isn't it? We've all likely been there in the past too. 

Other team's fans rattle on about how much Barry Bannan is paid. Yet no one even considers how much the likes of Nathan Broadhead, Sam Morsy, et al at Ipswich are paid, but I bet it isn't 3p and a bag of Skips per week. Look how much they have spaffed away on players wages over the years and got their club into the shitpile they've been for 20 years... Again, we've been there too. It seems that many fans don't consider we're a club which has a much bigger fanbase, a bigger turnover, bigger attendances, than theirs which give us the option to pay potentially more wages than others. But don't let facts get in the way of a good argument!!!

It's easy to be disliked when you're at the top. So I say, here's to the next 5 years of being disliked. 

Top post!

• Like 2