The Posh thread....Peterborough at home match thread

Whatever Moore said to them at half time worked. Genius, that's all I can say about him

Professional performance second half. Got the goal and then bar Browns bit of superb defending, we totally managed that game to perfection. 

Deserved 3 points overall. That's why we're going up as champions

Edited by Kiwi Owl
  • Like 1

I had a bad feeling about today, no idea why. It was a strange game, we were unplayable for the first 10, then Peterborough grew into it and seemed to work us out without ever seeming to threaten (don't recall Dawson having a shot to save).

Second half we came out of the traps well and Jaden Brown grew about 10ft after the goal. That last ditch tackle saved an almost certain goal. 

The end of the game was bizarre, we were pouring forward like we were the ones chasing a goal whereas they seemed content to lose 1-0?!

Special mention to the officials who, in a league where we only seen to get bad referees, were exceptionally woeful.

• Like 1

I couldn’t wait for half time to come today whatever those analyst are saying at half time is just magic stuff. Completely different game although it helped that the ref got a bit better as well.

Onto the next one 

We are going up ☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️

• Like 1

We're a solid very hard to beat side. I thought Peterborough were decent tbf one of better sides ive seen but as soon as we scored at no time did I think we wouldn't win which for years hasn't been case

We WILL win league 

• Like 1

Boring Wednesday! I’ll take 1-0 against a form team with a slight thin match day squad all day long.

We could have won by a bit more and it may be could have been a bit more comfortable but I’m happy with that today. As someone else said I was a bit concerned we might struggle, we’ve hardly had a great run of results against Peterborough over recent-ish times.

I thought the defence were excellent again with Vaulks commanding the centre of the park along with Iorfa, Flint and Famewo. Windass was so unlucky with shot against the bar but did some great runs to stretch their defence.

I was sat in the South today behind the Directors box and the assistant in front of the South was diabolical, he called offsides that weren’t and missed some that were. The ref was poor I’ll agree but I thought the biggest mystery was 1min injury time at the end of the 1st half and yet 6mins at the end of the 2nd, presumably only because of all the substitutions and nothing to do with the stoppages for injuries etc. In the end I wasn’t complaining it was only 6mins but it just reflected how random the officials were with their decisions and overall officiating.

I hope Palmer is alright. I noticed Brown and Iorfa were also struggling a bit, we are going to need some experience in defence for the next two games. DM won’t be able to rotate for those two games.

One last thing. DC was at the game today and he was absolutely beaming. As the players were doing their usual lap he was stood on the wooden barrier at the front of the box waving two shirts on sticks and loving it - good for him. He’s made mistakes, good how we have suffered for them, but hopefully he’s learnt from them. I noticed also he was flanked by a couple of blokes that I think were his guests and wouldn’t be surprised to find they were agents etc. If I knew who they were I’d say but I wouldn’t be surprised to find they are already circling him for next season. Let’s hope DM is the man that DC will leave in charge of any player decisions.

Ross Wallace what memories of those goals he scored for us. That episode at Huddersfield when he knicked the note of that dipshit will live long in the memory.

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0
  • Like 2

That was an excellent crowd today. A tiny bit surprised it was as high as that given Peterborough didn’t bring a huge following.

For one reason or other which I won’t go into it was a very last minute decision to go today. When I went online before 2 I wasn’t able to buy a ticket, which I have done at that kind of time previously. Clearly not a sell out in the home end but I can see this trend continuing if we keep rolling like this. Hence my comment about selling tickets for home supporter on LL if we do start getting close to sell out in the home areas. I imagine Bolton will sell out their allocation and you’d expect Derby will but all this going to plan we could sell enough for LL lower tier against Derby anyway. As for our other home games I’m not sure the away teams will fill more that the upper tier, eg Accrington and Exeter. Hoyland will know how Lincoln will sell.

Its quite possible there at least a couple of over 30k gates coming up.

7 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

That was an excellent crowd today. A tiny bit surprised it was as high as that given Peterborough didn’t bring a huge following.

For one reason or other which I won’t go into it was a very last minute decision to go today. When I went online before 2 I wasn’t able to buy a ticket, which I have done at that kind of time previously. Clearly not a sell out in the home end but I can see this trend continuing if we keep rolling like this. Hence my comment about selling tickets for home supporter on LL if we do start getting close to sell out in the home areas. I imagine Bolton will sell out their allocation and you’d expect Derby will but all this going to plan we could sell enough for LL lower tier against Derby anyway. As for our other home games I’m not sure the away teams will fill more that the upper tier, eg Accrington and Exeter. Hoyland will know how Lincoln will sell.

Peterborough brought over 1800, that's a huge following for them

To be clear I wasn’t commenting on him just as a person, more the goals he scored and I haven’t seen the comments he made, I’m sure you are right about that though.

Weve had all sorts at Hillsborough, I don’t really concern myself with whether I like the players, I’d rather judge them on what they do on the pitch. Although thankfully we’ve not had too many wrong’uns like the Blunts. 
As I said I was in the South today. RW was sat in the box and stayed out there until all the players had gone down the tunnel and he was talking to fans and doing pics and autographs.

11 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

I just get a feeling, and I’d be happy to be proved otherwise, that we won’t sell the lower Lepp to our fans, or split the stand in half. 
Just because of the stick we’ve had this season for it, which could make the SAG shit themselves at the thought. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

Was it that many. Tbf as you that’s not a bad effort for them carrot crunchers. Still not huge or a anywhere near a sell out of LL though.

They average about 6k, getting 1/3 of that away when sat mid table is akin to us taking 8k....

7 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

I just get a feeling, and I’d be happy to be proved otherwise, that we won’t sell the lower Lepp to our fans, or split the stand in half. 
Just because of the stick we’ve had this season for it, which could make the SAG shit themselves at the thought. 

Don’t SAG shit theirsens if the gate is over 25k

That's how you get promoted, that is.  Was telling my mate's lad at the end:  Play poorly (by our recent standards) and still manage to win.  Struggled first half for periods once Peterboro got started, all the flicks and touches for once just didn't work. We kept passing / miscontrolling it to them.  They were horrible to play and also quite good, up to a point.  And their sh*thousing and the utterly inept (and apparently unfit?) officials added to our stress levels on and off the pitch.  But we stuck to it, half time made a difference, the goal and THAT tackle certainly did!  And eventually we've come out with three points, another clean sheet and another consecutive win.

We've all seen us play miles better and not win.  We are WINNERS!  And long may it continue.

Edited by Owling_Wolf
  • Like 4

That was a very comfortable win. For all of the possession that Peterborough had in the first half, it was all 40 yards out. They clearly have some pace and width, but I thought the midfield three and the left and right centre backs did a great job of shutting things down. We know how quick Iorfa is, but Famewo is quick too.

Second half, Wednesday dominated, and should have won by 2 or 3 in the end. Flint, Windass (twice) missed good chances, and although we had a bit of luck with the OG. It was deserved. The opposition offered nothing at all in reality, largely down to our organisation, somewhat down to them knocking 5 yards passes 15 yards away from the target. It still took a chase down from Brown to keep it at 1-0, but that was all they offered.

We can talk about the back three today, very good. Especially Iorfa. Vaulks, outstanding. Bannan, poor first half, great second half. Both wing backs were good. Front two, not so great. Smith is struggling with the link up part of the game at the minute, it’s not sticking, he’s not keeping possession.

There’s a resoluteness about us. Teams DONT create chances against us. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

That was a very comfortable win. For all of the possession that Peterborough had in the first half, it was all 40 yards out. They clearly have some pace and width, but I thought the midfield three and the left and right centre backs did a great job of shutting things down. We know how quick Iorfa is, but Famewo is quick too.

Second half, Wednesday dominated, and should have won by 2 or 3 in the end. Flint, Windass (twice) missed good chances, and although we had a bit of luck with the OG. It was deserved. The opposition offered nothing at all in reality, largely down to our organisation, somewhat down to them knocking 5 yards passes 15 yards away from the target. It still took a chase down from Brown to keep it at 1-0, but that was all they offered.

We can talk about the back three today, very good. Especially Iorfa. Vaulks, outstanding. Bannan, poor first half, great second half. Both wing backs were good. Front two, not so great. Smith is struggling with the link up part of the game at the minute, it’s not sticking, he’s not keeping possession.

They didn't have a shot on target.

17 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

The difference between halves was huge.  That wonderful and very unlucky dead ball routine apart we just couldn't do anything right.  One of the alarming things to see was the number of times Peterbro played it about neatly at the back and then hit 20 or 30 yard passes straight down the pitch between our midfielders to feet.  I saw our lads turning to look at each other a couple of times after one of those passes.  No, they didn't ultimately do anything up front with that possession but they always looked like they might with some of those neat, quick and tricky players.  Their main striker hardly seemed to feature, though, and I can't remember Cam being worked very hard today.

2 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Some of Ross Wallace’s comments after  retiring, on a podcast I think it was, were less than complimentary about us. 

Serioulsy?

Dang , he was my fave when he was with us. 

Edited by pachyderm

1 hour ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Please tell me that that wasn't Paxo near him!  

That’s one of the blokes he had with him. The other one is out of shot, I think he might have been talking to Ross Wallace at that moment, but I’d say of a similar age to the guy with the blue coat on. Someone will be able to figure out who they were I’ll bet. One to get the journalists to guess wrong 😜

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0

Just now, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

That’s one of the blokes he had with him. The other one is out of shot, I think he might have been taking to Rod Wallace at that moment, but I’d say of a similar age to the guy with the blue coat on. Someone will be able to figure out who they were I’ll bet. One to get the journalists to guess wrong 😜

Did Danny and Ray show up?

• Haha 1