London Calling - Charlton away match thread.

Reesh

I went to Oakwell today and to be honest I quite enjoyed the game.

I won’t go into massive detail but from what I saw of both sides we should have nothing to worry about if that’s the calibre of the chasing pack.

Wildsmith was poor and Mendez Laing was a passenger. Hourihane was very quiet and although McGoldpig put himself about a bit, generally speaking Derby were disappointing. Their supporters filled the away end and were loud early on, but after Barnsley scored their third there was hardly a peep out of them.

Norwood up front for Barnsley worked hard and chased down a lot, and Kane looked lively in midfield. I was impressed with Mads Juel Andersen at the back for Barnsley and if how he played today is the norm for them then we ought to be having him watched as a possible recruit for next season (if we can afford him)

On the whole though, seeing those two teams only reassured me as to just how strong a side we are and how much we’ve come on this season. We shouldn’t be in fear of anyone we play. 

UTO!

49 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

@Bellsview

Barnsley are 9 points off Plymouth with 2 games in hand. I think they're the dark horses for nicking 2nd place. They have Plymouth and Ipswich at home in March and if they take 6 points out of those games then I reckon they'll be going up with us 

Keep a very close eye on Bolton as well imo Ty.

1 hour ago, Tylluan said:

@Bellsview

Barnsley are 9 points off Plymouth with 2 games in hand. I think they're the dark horses for nicking 2nd place. They have Plymouth and Ipswich at home in March and if they take 6 points out of those games then I reckon they'll be going up with us 

This. Think they'll sneak it, but be 10+ behind us.

100pts is a minimum for us 

• Like 1

Thought we were smashing in the first half and, the same as others above, thought we should have put it to bed by half time.

Second half, instead of more of the same, we allowed the game to be ridiculously open and I kept expecting us to pay for it. Thankfully they were poor in front of goal, though credit to Dom Iorfa for that astonishing long-legged crash block. That was our win, right there.  

Well done 'J.B.' for a good first half, a good assist & and lots of effort. Sounds like he enjoyed himself!  

Another “game of two halves”.

Should have been out of sight at half time. They didn’t have a shot, off or on target. Second half was more even, but I thought they had the better chances. Again, they came from our mistakes rather than the opposition’s skill. But the defence was resolute, Flint and Iorfa outstanding. The late free kick on the edge of our area was a worry. Fortunately we dealt with it easily.

No one had a poor game today, but credit to Brown who did a lot better than most expected from him.

I thought the ref was a bit card happy and was looking to send someone off, he seemed less picky in the second half.

2 hours ago, M42Owl said:

Another “game of two halves”.

Should have been out of sight at half time. They didn’t have a shot, off or on target. Second half was more even, but I thought they had the better chances. Again, they came from our mistakes rather than the opposition’s skill. But the defence was resolute, Flint and Iorfa outstanding. The late free kick on the edge of our area was a worry. Fortunately we dealt with it easily.

No one had a poor game today, but credit to Brown who did a lot better than most expected from him.

I thought the ref was a bit card happy and was looking to send someone off, he seemed less picky in the second half.

Whilst it would be hard to disagree with the "card happy" comment, I never saw him as looking to send players off. If so, Cam Dawson gave him plenty of opportunity late on, after being booked earlier. (Time wasting.  Must have been learning from the master in training!)    

In fact I complemented the ref. during the game. I don't mean I agreed with all of his decisions: several seemed to be given the wrong way. What I liked about him was the way in which he basically left space for the players to get on with the game. He only seemed to stop play for the more obvious fouls: quite a boost for those who like it 'flowing'. 

Interesting that their manager is whining that Iorfa should have been sent off for a first half challenge. At the time that was the one decision I thought the ref had got wrong and there was no foul.

Be interesting to see that back.

A decent performance, first half we should have been 3 up really. It is my only criticism of this team, they don't put games to bed sooner and leave the door open somewhat. Saying that at HT there was a raging argument going on near me, thought the chap was going to get levelled at one stage.

I am not sure the Geordies would enjoy that away end either. Though their fears of crowded spaces does not extend to Trafalgar Sq looking at a few pics.

Some good banter with the Charlton fans across the train tracks post game. And a great scene at London Bridge Station as several hundred Wednesday fans informed the locals / tourists of our top of the League status 

47 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Interesting that their manager is whining that Iorfa should have been sent off for a first half challenge. At the time that was the one decision I thought the ref had got wrong and there was no foul.

A decent performance, first half we should have been 3 up really. It is my only criticism of this team, they don't put games to bed sooner and leave the door open somewhat. Saying that at HT there was a raging argument going on near me, thought the chap was going to get levelled at one stage.

I am not sure the Geordies would enjoy that away end either. Though their fears of crowded spaces does not extend to Trafalgar Sq looking at a few pics.

Some good banter with the Charlton fans across the train tracks post game. And a great scene at London Bridge Station as several hundred Wednesday fans informed the locals / tourists of our top of the League status 

What was the argument about?  

30 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

What was the argument about?  

Just an older chap having a whinge that the first half was crap, Wednesday weren't any good etc etc

Others a bit younger suggesting that we were top of the League and winning 1 - 0

So nonsense really but it got a bit animated. 

Point is for the younger kids this is the level. Most of em weren't born last time we played in the Prem 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Just an older chap having a whinge that the first half was crap, Wednesday weren't any good etc etc

Others a bit younger suggesting that we were top of the League and winning 1 - 0

Point is for the younger kids this is the level. Most of em weren't born last time we played in the Prem 

And no, it wasn't me!   😁

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

It was a hard challenge, and Iorfa did get the ball, but arguably went through the man as well. It was never a red though. A yellow in these days is probably the right decision, it wouldn’t have been even that going back a few years.

2 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

It was a hard challenge, and Iorfa did get the ball, but arguably went through the man as well. It was never a red though. A yellow in these days is probably the right decision, it wouldn’t have been even that going back a few years.

Until Parry and the EFL get sent some phone footage and decide it's another 3 match ban

5 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

If we were crap first half he must have been under a rock for the last quarter of century