Club stealing bastards match thread - MK Dons home

Reesh

It was an odd game in that despite the amount of control we had in the first half, we found ourselves 2-1 down at half time, and had some sub par performances in the 11. The MK Dons second summed up the half that Iorfa had with the mistake from the header and then him tackling his own player. 

But, we missed the better chances, we had all of the ball, we just weren’t being agressive enough with and without the ball.

Second half was the opposite. High press led by Smith, some really positive changes and MK Dons just got overrun. They were all very good second half, Iorfa was a different player, Adeniran was excellent when he came on, Johnson was excellent as were Palmer and James. 5-2 even flattered them, two or three very good chances outside of the five we scored. Massive praise for the forwards in the second half, we have quality up there, they are all scoring goals.

The thing I like is that I just think we can keep the ball especially with Byers, Bannan and Windass on the pitch. We were very patient at times and can work around pressing teams.

Great win… and a week to the next game to get more players back.

9 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Was never worried at 2-1 down, thought we’d win comfortably.

Pleasing to see the crowd stay calm, patient and supportive  

Well I was worried !

Our run has to come to end sometime and in typical Wednesday style thought it was today. Some odd performances Johnson first 30 was shocking as was Iorfa, and Byers went missing and when Smith put that one over from 6 yards.....

But in the end it was a performances of champions in way we responded and while I've had a dig at Moore I think his subs made a difference as well.

We're going up

Absolutely over the moon with that outcome.

First time in a while we’ve faced being in a losing position in the league and the way we responded was magnificent. The players remained calm, the crowd stuck with them and Moore made the right substitutions. 

On Moore, that’s the first time he’s had a bit of pressure on him and I’ve been critical of his tactics and substitutions in the past. Today was one of those days where he might have made a balls up, but like the team he didn’t panic, saw what needed changing and his substitutions, Adeniran and Gregory, we’re both involved in the equalising goal - thus changing the game.

Can’t ask much more than that from the gaffer. I’ve given him stick in the past, so when he gets it right it’s only fair I give him the praise he deserves.

This is definitely a SWFC side to be proud of and I really hope that (even though I’ll be happy with automatic promotion) we win this league, because I think this squad of players, Moore and his back room staff deserve it.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

Iorfa can't play in the middle of a 3, simple as, he needs someone in there telling him what to do. That said, he was unlucky not to get a penalty second half when their keeper came and missed and completely took him out

I heard a very good comment as we walked down the ramp after.  A bloke said to his mate that he was pleased that Moore had left Iorfa on for the full game.  As his mate replied, he was definitely worthy of being hooked at half time, but as the first lad said, staying on and being a part of the win will have been good for his confidence. 

22 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

I heard a very good comment as we walked down the ramp after.  A bloke said to his mate that he was pleased that Moore had left Iorfa on for the full game.  As his mate replied, he was definitely worthy of being hooked at half time, but as the first lad said, staying on and being a part of the win will have been good for his confidence. 

I thought he was miles better in the second half. He was a lot more comfortable with the ball, and did some good stuff on the cover as well. He’s actually been good since he got back fit, with some very good displays in there too.

51 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

I thought he was miles better in the second half. He was a lot more comfortable with the ball, and did some good stuff on the cover as well. He’s actually been good since he got back fit, with some very good displays in there too.

I generally agree with that.  He was one of a couple that really struggled in the 2nd half at Ipswich, but he was carrying an injury from very early on. 

That was such a strange game today.

At the start we seemed so blasé about everything. It felt like the team thought we won before we’d kicked off.

Fair play to Leko for a great hit for the opener but my god, we were so lethargic. (BTW, they’re number 21, what a belter. Giving it the big un at the Kop like they’d won the game). 

Even when we levelled, it was odd. It’s a great ball by James and a lovely finish from Windass but it still seemed like we weren’t on it, and then it was proven.

Iorfa. Well. He looked like he’d never played centre back before, especially with that second for them. Our fought, out paced, and caught wanting.

But. Even though it seemed things might conspire against us, I didn’t think for one second we wouldn’t get at least a point. Aside from Leko and Eisa, they were shit. Very shit. Clearly missing players, clearly low on confidence, and scared at our every attack. 
Second half, it went just as I thought really, once we levelled so early that was it. Game over for them. 
Marvin Johnson was excellent in the second half, some of his deliveries into the box, and the little touch for Gregory’s goal were fantastic. 

Chuffed for Gregory to finally break his drought, Adeniran loved every second out there, if you didn’t see him celebrating Gregory’s goal which started with his cross. He was absolutely bouncing, the smile across his face was a real picture.

Chuffed we’ve gone back top today, it could have been a banana skin, and we didn’t allow it to happen. But, I’m almost glad we shipped a couple of goals because it could show we can’t be complacent. 
Anyway.

Up the Owls. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

At the start we seemed so blasé about everything. It felt like the team thought we won before we’d kicked off.

Fair play to Leko for a great hit for the opener but my god, we were so lethargic. (BTW, they’re number 21, what a belter. Giving it the big un at the Kop like they’d won the game). 

Even when we levelled, it was odd. It’s a great ball by James and a lovely finish from Windass but it still seemed like we weren’t on it, and then it was proven.

Iorfa. Well. He looked like he’d never played centre back before, especially with that second for them. Our fought, out paced, and caught wanting.

But. Even though it seemed things might conspire against us, I didn’t think for one second we wouldn’t get at least a point. Aside from Leko and Eisa, they were shit. Very shit. Clearly missing players, clearly low on confidence, and scared at our every attack. 
Second half, it went just as I thought really, once we levelled so early that was it. Game over for them. 
Marvin Johnson was excellent in the second half, some of his deliveries into the box, and the little touch for Gregory’s goal were fantastic. 

Chuffed for Gregory to finally break his drought, Adeniran loved every second out there, if you didn’t see him celebrating Gregory’s goal which started with his cross. He was absolutely bouncing, the smile across his face was a real picture.

Chuffed we’ve gone back top today, it could have been a banana skin, and we didn’t allow it to happen. But, I’m almost glad we shipped a couple of goals because it could show we can’t be complacent. 
Anyway.

Up the Owls. 

Adeniran's smile lights the ground up like the floodlights do.  He was excellent today.

44 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Anyway.

Up the Owls. 

Interesting point. Have a scare of sorts but still win. 

I can’t say I wasn’t concerned but I thought we’d come through it, in a we’ll score more than you kind of way. I suspect DM may even have thrown Flint and or Famewo if we hadn’t looked more solid in the 2nd.

Not sure I agree with peoples comments about Byers being “missing” in the first half, I just think the spaces between midfield and defence were because the back 3 hadn’t got their act together, which meant our midfield were also a bit all over the place, particularly Vaulks and Byers.

There aren’t many games left to go that you’d say are tough ones for us. Yes Barnsley away and potentially a couple of our home games, but nothing we haven’t come through already.

Yes I want the championship but promotion is the only measure of success for me, ie time for us to get out of this horrible league.

Last thought,  depending on the scenario, would you limit Derby to the upper or lower Leppings Lane so we can have the other?

1 minute ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

I can’t say I wasn’t concerned but I thought we’d come through it, in a we’ll score more than you kind of way. I suspect DM may even have thrown Flint and or Famewo if we hadn’t looked more solid in the 2nd.

Not sure I agree with peoples comments about Byers being “missing” in the first half, I just think the spaces between midfield and defence were because the back 3 hadn’t got their act together, which meant our midfield were also a bit all over the place, particularly Vaulks and Byers.

There aren’t many games left to go that you’d say are tough ones for us. Yes Barnsley away and potentially a couple of our home games, but nothing we haven’t come through already.

Yes I want the championship but promotion is the only measure of success for me, ie time for us to get out of this horrible league.

Last thought,  depending on the scenario, would you limit Derby to the upper or lower Leppings Lane so we can have the other?

Give them 2.5k in the upper

I thought I was going to be in trouble with the OO crowd at HT for attending the game. 

What impressed me was not simply getting back and ahead in the game at 3-2, but we kept looking for more goals. I appreciate we can't play at a tempo all game but how much better do we look when we do. 

Getting the 2 goal cushion completely de-moralised them. Daft thing that was one of the more potent looking attacks we have faced.

Iorfa himself had a game of 2 halves. 

And Palmer a well deserved MOM.  I know there is a debate about formations but the 3 at the back can be one of our best attacking options. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

Ref. the midfield / defence interaction in the first half:  I noticed several times that we had not one of our three classic midfielders between our defenders, as we often do when in possession, but two.  Then they were struggling to find someone unmarked to pass forwards to, unsurprisingly. At the time, as Iorfa was struggling a bit in possession, which has never been his strongest suit, I wondered if their readiness to drop back there was to try to avoid him dropping one.  At one time, whilst the ball was crossing and recrossing our defence, he took to pointing to other defenders, i.e. "not me."

As well as that, Windass once dropped so deep that he was actually at right back as we moved forward, presumably to re-familiarise himself with the ball.

What a difference second half!  We were so mentally tough after equalising that we utterly rejected the notion that M.K. could have the ball. At all! Yes, that lead to some fouling by us and some rolling about by them but it pretty soon also lead to their collapse.  The mental strength of champions? Time will tell but it was great to see. 

• Like 2

😂😂😂 took her indoors to the game she hasn’t been since playoffs last season. She got some stick at half time off the daughter as it’s all her fault 😂😂😂 lots of records and hoodoos broken all at the same time.

Love it at the minute it’s going to be a tough run in no matter who we have.

Charlton away Saturday point is enough but we go for the win 🙌🙌🙌🙌

That game couldn’t have gone much better…

…all our forwards scored. Gregory’s first for a while. Great confidence booster. 
…Famewo and Flint get a rest. Possibly our best two defenders at their best for the next few games. 
…Players having poor first 45 going on to have a good second half (Smith, Iorfa, Johnson). Had they been subbed it could have dampened confidence. They stayed on, turned it round: confidence booster. 
…we went behind. Twice. It hasn’t happened much lately, so to turn it round must give the whole team (and fans) belief that going behind is no longer “game over”. And what impact could it have on other teams seeing us behind at HT but coming through to end with a comprehensive three goal margin?
…subs actually looked good: fit, energetic, and enthusiastic, Adeniran especially. He looked a bit lost at RWB v Morecambe, but yesterday it looked like he could be playing there more frequently. 

On 19/02/2023 at 04:00, Owling_Wolf said:

Well, I suppose we were a bit better in the second half.  😉

It's another one of those days, where I've still got the silly grin on after getting home.

Lovely football, Wednesday, and plenty of it!   

A bit indeed. I have a feeling this weekend will be another tough test.