Here’s an ‘article’ for you to….

HoylandOwl

58 minutes ago, Skamp said:

What a pile of crock.

I support Wednesday because we're unbeaten in 18 league games

I've got blue and white blood running through my body.

Fucking stupid.

Dad took me

Went with my mates

Was at uni, went and been coming ever since

Loved the name (one for @pook ) there.

Tbf re the Uni point - Aylesburyowl will say that was the case with him 

Rest of us I am sure once our love of football was established or encouraged, then there was only one option offered and taken 

First game was vs Middlesbrough when Steve Whitton scored a header from a corner in front of the Kop, I was hooked from that moment, going to the game with my Grandad, Uncle, Mum, Dad & Brother, it was standing at the time but where my Grandad stood he was lent against the bars for the duration of the game, whenever I went he would sit me on the bar & hold me for 90minutes, even when Wednesday scored he never go.....

For me, it was a case of the family were Wednesday & I grew up being Wednesday, its memories like that above I'll always cherish, even though he died back in 1994 it still hurts, everytime I'm back now & I sit in the North & look to the section where we stood/sat & smile.

I love the stories he used to tell about Wednesday and the grounds he's been to up & down the Country.

1 hour ago, owl4ever1867 said:

First game was vs Middlesbrough when Steve Whitton scored a header from a corner in front of the Kop, I was hooked from that moment, going to the game with my Grandad, Uncle, Mum, Dad & Brother, it was standing at the time but where my Grandad stood he was lent against the bars for the duration of the game, whenever I went he would sit me on the bar & hold me for 90minutes, even when Wednesday scored he never go.....

For me, it was a case of the family were Wednesday & I grew up being Wednesday, its memories like that above I'll always cherish, even though he died back in 1994 it still hurts, everytime I'm back now & I sit in the North & look to the section where we stood/sat & smile.

I love the stories he used to tell about Wednesday and the grounds he's been to up & down the Country.

I felt jealous reading that, pal. Good on yer, and especially him.   🙂👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Brilliant memories. An excellent read 🙂

Interesting that your mum attended matches. Wasn't women at football quite rare back then? You wouldn't get my mother anywhere near a football ground! My sister went to a handful of games, but only involving Aberdeen. She wasn't interested in Hearts.

I've treated my auld man to a number of days out to see Wednesday over the years. He has a soft spot for us but that's as far as it's got. Probably just as well because he's not exactly a lucky omen when he attends. Too many defeats 😒

• Like 1

Made my 'debut' Xmas 1980.... A year after 'that' game. I always remembered it as a 0-0 but it was a 1-1 against Shrewsbury at home. Went with my old man and his brother, who went to every game home and away for as long as I can remember. From then on I was hooked, just remember the crowd and the noise more than anything. I just wanted to go and join in the shouting and supporting the players!

I remember going to the infamous game at Oldham, getting lost on the way when my dad thought he was following some Wednesday fans when we got near to the ground but it turned out the Owls had turned off the roundabout and we'd started following the same colour and type of car!

It wasn't until around 4 years or so after my 'debut' that I was allowed to go regular with my Dad and Uncle, and since then, give or take a season or so it's been season tickets and various away trips and I've loved it. Must say recently, I've got the bug back and I'm gutted away days are a near impossibility due to the priority points, BUT I get why they do it so not moaning.

26 minutes ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

Interesting that your mum attended matches. Wasn't women at football quite rare back then? You wouldn't get my mother anywhere near a football ground! My sister went to a handful of games, but only involving Aberdeen. She wasn't interested in Hearts.

I've treated my auld man to a number of days out to see Wednesday over the years. He has a soft spot for us but that's as far as it's got. Probably just as well because he's not exactly a lucky omen when he attends. Too many defeats 😒

Prior to me & my brother being born, Mum, Dad,Grandad & Uncle followed Wednesday all over the Country, they bloody loved it.

On a home game weekend it was Grandads pre match Heinz Tomato Soup & 2 rounds of bread & butter that made me chuckle, without fail, everytime we went round he had his cupboard & it was rammed full of tins of soup! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

Re. 'Women at football', back when...

The lad I first watched Wednesday with in the mid-1960s, before they had kids his mum n dad used to watch the Owls all over the North by motorbike n sidecar.  That wouldn't have been great on 1940s/50s roads! 

• Haha 1