Let’s not Fac Up against the Geordies

If your squads thin, you don't disrespect the competition by playing lesser players surely?!

I expected a tougher game last night as I genuinely thought Newcastle would prioritise the cup, seems like a competition they could have had a reasonable chance at winning, not complaining mind.

Anyway.

Now I’ve calmed down a bit.

Overall, so proud of the players last night and, well I can’t but praise DM for the approach he took to the game. No sitting deep, none of this sideways and backwards stuff. Have a go. Pressing them high off the ball and, no chance for them to settle.

All but one of the players deserve a huge pat on the back. No one left anything out there, in the first half Palmer and Windass nipping in to create chances from purely pressing them into mistakes. Smith working so hard up front to make their back four look like they’d never played together. 

Byers, what a player he is. On both sides of the ball. Adeniran was class when he came on too. FDB the exception. Did very little to effect the game.

Our back line need huge praise. As we all know McGuinness is different gravy, even when he faltered, with one mistimed header in the second half and they threatened to race away, he got back with Johnson helping him out to snuff out the chance.

Reece James again, another cracking game.

We deserved that. Yes they had the chances, but how many times have we seen it the other way. 

Our youngest experienced a proper FA Cup win for the first time and left the ground absolutely buzzing at us beating a Prem team with a headache and sore throat from screaming at almost every tackle, pass and shot. To see him beaming like that, made it even more special and my big lad loved it too as always. 
You can’t beat sharing those wins with the nearest and dearest. It’ll live in the memory for a long time. 

• Like 2

Hats off to Dawson, he pulled off some tremendous saves last night, but his poppadom wrists do still worry me. The chance they had early on (5 mins or so) and the initial shot before their goal were both limply palmed into an area you really wouldn't want them to be. Compare that to the save Dubravka made from the long range Windass(?) effort, but I'm nitpicking, I know I am

29 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

Hats off to Dawson, he pulled off some tremendous saves last night, but his poppadom wrists do still worry me. The chance they had early on (5 mins or so) and the initial shot before their goal were both limply palmed into an area you really wouldn't want them to be. Compare that to the save Dubravka made from the long range Windass(?) effort, but I'm nitpicking, I know I am

Playing devils advocate, compare Dawson’s feet to Dubravka. Even his positioning, which seems daft I know.

Their keeper looked lost, at times like a rabbit in the headlights especially first half. He was panicking every time almost when receiving the ball from a defender.
Then if we’re nit picking, I’d say his positioning for the second wasn’t ideal. He offered Windass that corner that he put the ball into. There was soooo much space for him to put the ball into and did little to shut down the angles or force Windass into a decision. He almost made it for him. 

What a night and what a game.  A proper game of football.

Had messages from Arsenal, Liverpool and even Newcastle fans that I know saying how much they enjoyed the game outside of the mundane Premier League.  

As people have said the whole team again put a shift in with the exception of FDB again.  TV MOTM was always going to go to Windass but Byas, Vaulks, the mountain that is McGuiness and the little pocket dynamo James were immense.   

Last night was my first T1 / S1 block experience.   These lads and a few lasses get bad press but the support and atmosphere on there was fantastic.  Not sure Half Pint wants to go back to the Kop now.  Also my 13 year old daughter has taken an interest this season and was great to see her and her Brother jumping about celebrating the goals together as if they even liked each other - Wednesday can do that to you, sometimes. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

What a night and what a game.  A proper game of football.

Had messages from Arsenal, Liverpool and even Newcastle fans that I know saying how much they enjoyed the game outside of the mundane Premier League.  

As people have said the whole team again put a shift in with the exception of FDB again.  TV MOTM was always going to go to Windass but Byas, Vaulks, the mountain that is McGuiness and the little pocket dynamo James were immense.   

Last night was my first T1 / S1 block experience.   These lads and a few lasses get bad press but the support and atmosphere on there was fantastic.  Not sure Half Pint wants to go back to the Kop now.  Also my 13 year old daughter has taken an interest this season and was great to see her and her Brother jumping about celebrating the goals together as if they even liked each other - Wednesday can do that to you, sometimes. 

Some absolute ***** in T1 since I retired 

4 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Playing devils advocate, compare Dawson’s feet to Dubravka. Even his positioning, which seems daft I know.

Their keeper looked lost, at times like a rabbit in the headlights especially first half. He was panicking every time almost when receiving the ball from a defender.
Then if we’re nit picking, I’d say his positioning for the second wasn’t ideal. He offered Windass that corner that he put the ball into. There was soooo much space for him to put the ball into and did little to shut down the angles or force Windass into a decision. He almost made it for him. 

Trippier, when he came on, went right after Dawson’s weakness on crosses. Told the big lads to stand on his toes and just kept dropping it on him, aside from the goal, the likes and Iorfa and McGuinness did a very good job of keeping winning the first header and protecting him. But, if I am Wycombe, I am absolutely chucking every set piece on his head. He’s very much planted to his line, and actually not overly quick at getting across his line.

I agree about Dubravka, green finish from Windass but, it was easy for him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KrolMong said:

Trippier, when he came on, went right after Dawson’s weakness on crosses. Told the big lads to stand on his toes and just kept dropping it on him, aside from the goal, the likes and Iorfa and McGuinness did a very good job of keeping winning the first header and protecting him. But, if I am Wycombe, I am absolutely chucking every set piece on his head. He’s very much planted to his line, and actually not overly quick at getting across his line.

I agree about Dubravka, green finish from Windass but, it was easy for him.

I'm getting confused now. First it was Cameron Green. Now it's green finishes at the other end