The World Cup thread….

5 minutes ago, Mark said:

I don't care who wins it now. Unfortunately I care about us and England. The rest? Couldn't care less

I don't care who wins either, but I like watching the football.  "I'm not watching now my team is out" is the equivalent of "I'm taking my ball home" Watch good players play.  Stop sulking.

7 minutes ago, trevorfrancistracksuit said:

I don't care who wins either, but I like watching the football.  "I'm not watching now my team is out" is the equivalent of "I'm taking my ball home" Watch good players play.  Stop sulking.

Thanks 4 the advice. 

I'd close me curtains if they were playing in my back garden. Wednesday winning or losing means something. France v whoever doesn't 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark said:

Thanks 4 the advice. 

I'd close me curtains if they were playing in my back garden. Wednesday winning or losing means something. France v whoever doesn't 

Surely the 3rd v 4th play off on Saturday matters mate, what's wrong with ya

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mark said:

Thanks 4 the advice. 

Zero advice there buddy.  Just seems like some people don't like football, which is really weird to me.  Enjoy yourself doing you though, no offence!

18 minutes ago, trevorfrancistracksuit said:

I watched last nights game and I’ve seen the last 20 mins of tonight’s.

When we went out I didn’t say to myself I wouldn’t watch any more, it’s just I’ve had nowt better to do. The worst thing about France winning tonight is there’s a tinge of me wanting Argentina to win it. Which in my lifetime I never thought I’d say! 
(Yes I’m a bitter twat about last Saturday night!)

5 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

I watched last nights game and I’ve seen the last 20 mins of tonight’s.

When we went out I didn’t say to myself I wouldn’t watch any more, it’s just I’ve had nowt better to do. The worst thing about France winning tonight is there’s a tinge of me wanting Argentina to win it. Which in my lifetime I never thought I’d say! 
(Yes I’m a bitter twat about last Saturday night!)

100% agree with that!

32 minutes ago, owl71 said:

I want the Argies to win Sunday, fuck it. A fitting end to Messi’s career, mental, brilliant fans, and the French are a little bit annoying.

I agree, I hate the Argies, due to being a serviceman during the Falklands, but we won that battle. 

However, Mbappe fucked me off so much with his smirk after Kane missed the second penalty, I wouldn’t mind the Argie twats winning 

8 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Qatars two highest paid and highest profile players make it to the final.

What are the odds eh

Tbf Andy, Messi and Mbappe have needed a little help from their team mates and they are there on footballing merit. There has been less VAR controversy than an average Premier League weekend. The refs have not been perfect but I still don't come off that England game feeling robbed really.

Enjoyable tournament, they should make it in the northern winter more often 👹

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Tbf Andy, Messi and Mbappe have needed a little help from their team mates and they are there on footballing merit. There has been less VAR controversy than an average Premier League weekend. The refs have not been perfect but I still don't come off that England game feeling robbed really.

Enjoyable tournament, they should make it in the northern winter more often 👹

From a footballing point of view, it has been a very enjoyable tournament. There's been some great games, I don't think there's much argument in that. It does help that the majority of the players are in the midst of their season's, at peak fitness and not knackered after a long season. 

In a way, it's a little disappointing that it's been so good as FIFA will obviously be flaunting things to justify their position. But it still shouldn't have taken place there as we know, for a myriad of reasons. 

9 hours ago, Beaconowl said:

I agree, I hate the Argies, due to being a serviceman during the Falklands, but we won that battle. 

However, Mbappe fucked me off so much with his smirk after Kane missed the second penalty, I wouldn’t mind the Argie twats winning 

Aye, how dare he do such a naughty thing when his team has gained an advantage.

What a rotter 😏

I have genuinely enjoyed it. Yes, it lost a bit of lustre after us losing to France. But the two semis have been good contests despite the scorelines saying other wise, there has been drama, and some upsets, and we could have a fairytale finish (and the closing of the book) on the greatest player of this generation debate if Messi and Argentina do it.

I’m not a fan of either team, but, I do want Argentina to do it, for Messi, but I think they have looked the more convincing of the two teams against better opposition.

Personally just not felt this World Cup and probably the one I have watched least games but more down to kick off times and just being busy.

Caught both semi finals and enjoyed them. 

I want Argentina to win for definite.  Always had a soft spot for them regardless of Political issues due to the first game I really watched being the Mario Kempes inspired ticker tape final in 1978.  Also still believe Maradona to be the greatest player ever and Messi the best of the last 25 years.  Plus they have my favourite kit ever. 

Not the usual profile of a World Cup Finalist goalkeeper

Emiliano Martínez

ARGENTINA

Years Team Apps (Gls)
2012–2020 Arsenal 15 (0)
2012  Oxford United (loan) 1 (0)
2013–2014  Sheffield Wednesday (loan) 11 (0)
2015  Rotherham United (loan) 8 (0)
2015–2016  Wolverhampton Wanderers (loan) 13 (0)
2017–2018  Getafe (loan) 5 (0)
2019  Reading (loan) 18 (0)
2020– Aston Villa 89 (0

Incredible game. Picking between Argentina and France was like picking between AIDS and AIDS. But, I am pleased for Messi who seals the deal of being the greatest of this generation. With Mbappe, who I dislike, becoming the king in waiting.

Thats what you want in a final. And how goes was Emil Martinez. That save in the last minute won the World Cup.

I've only just calmed down after yesterday's thriller at Hillsborough, then that cup final happens!

Had a tenner on Mbappe for the Golden Boot and resisted the temptation to cashout on numerous occasions at around £45/£50. Thought I'd blown it when Messi got his 2nd, then Mbappe got the 2nd penalty... £90 to me!

Edited by OptimisticOwl
fukin autocorrect